What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My pacus broke the glass!

Hello,
often my littler pacu chews ont he thermometer on the inside of the tank, no matter how much food he gets. last week he chewed sooo much and sooo hard he broke the glass surrounding the thermometer!!! just today he did it again with a replaced one!!! If pacus can break glass with their teeth, I wonder what they can do with their whole body?
wow.gif

-Spec

Ummmm. Maybe you should quit putting the glass thermometers in there and buy a more simple sticker type one that goes on the side of the tank
wink.gif
They may not be as accurate but Im willing to bet they are safer.

Spec, I would just not worry about temps, remember that tanks are huge dense systems and don't generally shift much in temperature. Set your heaters at the right level and forget about it, this is, imho, ok with fresh water (not salt) the reason being, is amonia, nitrate, and PH all do different things at different temps, when the heat goes up, the oxygen level falls, PH becomes unstable, and so on and so forth.

I agree with PAK that a sticker thermometer is fine, but honestly, I haven't used one in over a decade.

Another thought, is to take a page from the saltwater book, it's expensive, but in your next tank you could buy it pre-drilled reef ready and keep all your equipment in a sump or refugium.

Hi Spec,

I think Spec likes it when his Pacus chow down on the thermometers
alien.gif
tounge.gif
. Have you tried a grape yet? They will usually spin the grape in their mouths trying to open it. It's funny.

Bobby

I haven't tried a grape yet. I bet it's funny. It's funny when they spin algea wafers around, eating it from the edge to the middle. not as funny as a grape though
wink.gif

Hi Spec,

Oh, man, you are right, Pacus and algae wafers are a hoot
tounge.gif
. chompchompchompchompchompchomp.

Bobby

Back