What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my pacu isn't eating!

Today my pacu didn't eat so I tried hand feeding him cause I do it all the time but he just swam away really fast and hit the glass. He was dazzled for a while thought he might have died but in a little while he swam a little I hope he's ok. Why won't he eat? Please help I don't want him to die he's my favorite fish. The other pacu ate a little this morning I have been putting 2 small blocks of frozen daphina (water fleas) for an extra treat for all my fish every day since friday. Could this be the prob? Thanks,
                      Spectabilis73
sad.gif

I've read a lot of places that freeze dried food carries a lot of dormant bacterias. There is this infection that they can get where they stop eating and show almost no outward signs of disease. This is a good link to a disease page. It's about betas but could also be used to find out what your pacu has.

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

Hope it's not serious and you don't end up needing this.
Shauntell

this morning my pacu ate like a pig! I checked out the website I will add it to the favorites. he does hit hiself against the wall alot he alwas did but not as hard as yesterday.maybe I spooked him? I don't know if he is sick i think he just wasn't hungry yesterday.thanks for the help the site has alot of good information!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Spectabilis73

P.S. It would be cool it I could get a pic of my pacus and post it
biggrin.gif

Pacus in the wild are fruit eaters, try giving them slices of zuchinni, apples, pears in addition to the frozen foods. zuchinni is really good because it floats. just make sure you take it out when it starts too look slimy, if you leave it too long it will make your tank all nasty. good luck, Jack

*giggle* I know what was wrong with your fish. Um, Daphnia are high in fiber so you want to start them on it slowly or er they get clogged up, ROFL. I'm glad he got better on his own though. But remember to start them slowly on it next time
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shauntell @ Sep. 30 2002,12:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've read a lot of places that freeze dried food carries a lot of dormant bacterias.  There is this infection that they can get where they stop eating and show almost no outward signs of disease.  This is a good link to a disease page.  It's about betas but could also be used to find out what your pacu has.

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

Hope it's not serious and you don't end up needing this.
Shauntell[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Frozen food, not freeze dryed. Well, freeze dryed can have stuff to but all fish food that isn't frozen is freeze dryed
wink.gif
It's easy to get that mixed up some times.

Do you have Betta? Have you viseted healthybetta.com?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ Oct. 14 2002,08:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">*giggle*  I know what was wrong with your fish.  Um, Daphnia are high in fiber so you want to start them on it slowly or er they get clogged up, ROFL.  I'm glad he got better on his own though.  But remember to start them slowly on it next time
wink.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
ewwwwww!!!!!!gross! but hes been doing it on and off now. Maybe he just eats at night? I gave him a slice of zuchini(sp?) and he ate some of it, then spat it out! lol. then he ate some more, but not much
confused.gif

Pacus are primarily vegitarian/fruit eaters in nature, but like many fish, they are opportunists, and will occasionally consume some protien.

My advice, is to get some fresh spinach from your grocer, wash it up real good, and then nuke it in the microwave for a few seconds, just enough to make it wilt... then put it in the tank and watch your pacu's devour it... it's a good source of fiber and nutrients... you might want to incorporate it into their diet on a weekly basis... I have with my wifes orandas (her fish, I take care of them) and they love it... I give them red leaf and romaine lettuce as well...

avoid iceberg, nutritionally, iceberg is WORTHLESS.

I don't know if you are aware, but PACU's are just like, a 1/2 step removed from piranah, and sometimes when they are wild caught, you will end up with a piranah instead of a pacu. This happened to me when I was a kid... I was able to tell by the teeth, and the missing chunks of flesh in my smaller fish.
sad.gif
I sold him back to the fish store, though, I hear if you keep them fat, they stay dumb and happy... in the wild, even the most feared piranah, the caribe, only stream to blood, and they are usually only a real problem during the dry season when they eat everything in site including themselves.

Back