What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my own LED experiment..........

a member here was kind enough to allow me the temporary use of a LED setup. not going to name the individual because i dont want ppl bugging him for the same thing but if he wishes to identify himself thats his choice. however i am VERY greatful for the opportunity

for the test im using some raff x ?? seedlings and a H. minor.

raff seedlings(only used 3 of these pots)
IMG_7377.jpg

H. minor in poor shape due to neglect
IMG_7392.jpg

here is the setup minus some plastic tenting i used to up humidity. i think im going to have to place the seedlings on something to get them closer to the lights but other than that should be good to go. this setup is far enough away from any of my other lights that they shouldnt impact the test.
IMG_7393.jpg

what is the color ? What amount of lumens ?
I asm conmsidering bulk ordering from a wholesale semiconducter website thern solder a hundered 800 white leds with a few resisters and a protection circuiut.....

Also white LED's are not used in growing plants. Its mainly red with some blue led's that are used. White light is mostly wasted by plants.
Peter.

they sell them in lumen output;
your right maybe I could mix red and blue.....

Isn't the blue wavelength used for vegetative growth and the red wavelength for flowering?

Also wouldn't the LED's work better if they were as close to the plants as possible?

Lumens are really a measure of brightness to the eye. Arrays of red and blue LEDs that are more than sufficient for plants will still appear very dim, so lumens aren't a very useful metric here.

To expand on endparenthesis comment, you can have two 40w fluorescent bulbs, one 3000 lumens Daylight and one 1500 lumens Grolight... and the much dimmer 1500 could easily be the better bulb for plant growth... the human eye is most sensitive (which Lumens is based upon) to the greens and yellow wavelengths which the plant needs the less of... so in a way lumens is a measurement of light energy which the plant can not use efficiently, the brighter it is to you, the dimmer it is to the plant (assuming equal wattages and correct spectra)

How’s that for a paradigm shift :0o:

Av

71... its not an either/or situation, look at the links

heres what i got from the guy who loaned me the light

It is the Solar Oasis Ruby Pro (LGM3) V. 9 (red line)

Question: spectrum?
Answer: see graph

Question: closer is better?

Answer: Generally yes, but I have noticed smaller leaves and too much
can
burn certain plants. It is too new to say how close they should be for
every plant. Full sun plants can tolerate it very close.

Question: more blue?
Answer: Yes, blue helps vegative growth (nepenthes/helis)

Question: white LED?
Answer: Yes, white LED should also work because it includes blue and
red,
just like white fluorescent light. White LED is the shotgun approach to
so
that you get less red and blue, but it is still there in a smaller
amount.

Information___GBP_WeightedSpectrumC.jpg

their curves seem to be downplaying the blue absorption levels compared to every published curve Ive seen, the Chlorophyll a and b spikes should be considerably higher... it may need help there.. it will be interesting to see how it does for you

pigment.gif

Av

[FONT=&quot]Looks good, cant wait to see an update! Thanks for sharing! :banana2:

Perhaps this will inspire people to do experiments of their own
[/FONT]

Experiments are good, but not experiments with font size.

???
hahaha clint, thats not what I was talking about at all… rattler knows what im talking about
:0o:

Catches your eyes like a trainwreck, though, doesn't it?

Back