What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ordeal

G

As many of you know, I have moved to sunny san diego. So, I need some ideas on how to take care of my nepenthes here. ... this is going to be long. Ok, In Alaska, I grew all my nepenthes in a large room with special conditions. They grew under a 1000 watt metal halide light at 16 hours a day, 60-85F temps, 40-60% humidity. Here in san diego, California, the natural household humidity is about 40-55%, with temps in the 70's since theese are the winter months. My main problem is in space though, I think. My dad has a relatively large closet (still small, and keep in mind I have tens of large nepenthes, not to mention other plants), and he has some limited window space. He also has a small patio, but no yard. Outside, the temps are usualy in the 70's, sometimes in the 60's at night, or low 80's during the day, right now, and the humidity isn't very high. Keep in mind that I have a lot of lights and a humidifier to help me out. I think space is the main prob. Can you tell me what I can do?

Rag,
In your situation, I think I would opt out of the big light (don't really know the dementions of your closet). I would put lots of shelving in the closet, and attach flourescent fixtures on the underside of each shelf. If you space you shelfs correctly, you can have some for bigger (taller) plants, and some for the shorter ones. I would also had a small humidifier in the closet on a cycle so that it blows every so often, depending on how big your closet actaully is. As far as heat goes, you shouldn't have a problem. If it's in the 70's, then the lights should heat the closet a few more degrees, and you're in business. This should get you by for now.
You're problem may actually arrise in the summer...How to cool the highlanders? I can't help you there, as I don't have any (well, a x Judith Finn, but it's so tough it doesn't count).
confused.gif

Can you measure the closet with a tape measure and post the height, width and depth, along with any unusual protrusions? Can you post a pic? I'll have more inspiration with a visual....

I'll post a poic later when I have access to my dad's laptop and mdigi camera. I have to cool mist humidifiers at my disposal, so I should be ok there. I'm thinking my highlanders may suffer a bit from the lack of cooler night temps, and the hot summers. As far as using the flourecent lights, Many of my plants are very large (the reason I use metal halides) so I dont think flourecents would work for them. I now realize I couldn't use the metal halide there iether, do to the fact that the temps would get too high (no ventilation in the closet). ... I hope my life will become more cheerful by the next decade...

Nath,

what ya could do is buy a window unit to cool down the room that the plants are going to be in. build a cage large enought to hold your highland in and cool it down at night. with the lowlands they should be ok with growing them in the open but, just add humidity and light. ope that gives ya some ideas

Be sure to paint the inside of the closet white, or line it with mirror or mylar. That will provide reflection and help if you have to go florescent light.

I would be concerned about the humidity levels in a small space (more for the closet and mold starting on the walls) especially if you run the humidifier inside the closet. Make sure there is a fan inside also. The fan if run at night may help to lowering your temps especially when the lights are off.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Back