What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My newest "family member"!

Here are some pictures of my newest addition, my very first carnivorous plant! I'm such a total newbie with this, but so far so good!

7832664476_3acb6b3a94_z.jpg

7832657020_8d2937c14b_z.jpg

7832663010_d4076afa74_z.jpg

Nice ventrata!

Hey is that storm going to blow over your area too? I hear there's something nasty a brewin' over yonder in your neck of the woods.

Nice healthy looking nep :D It's nice to see a plant produce so many good-looking pitchers

Thanks!

The guy I bought it from said it was an alata--is it a ventrata, then?

I assure you you will have the plant for a long time, they are quite vigorous and easy to grow! Ventrata was my first CP as well.

Definitely N. x ventrata. N. alata doesn't have the little rim spikes on the peristome. It grows really fast.

Fairly certain it's a ventrata (the one uber common nep I still don't have), based on the larger-than-alata peristome. Alatas almost never have peristomes that wide, though it may be a 'Deroose Alata' (ventrata x alata). Healthy looking plant, though!

'Deroose Alata' (ventrata x alata).

gah....

The Deroose N. alata (which this is without a doubt, down to the white hanging basket and all!) is simply a N. Ventrata like all the rest. Someone somewhere years ago thought it looked like N. ventrata x alata to them and this baloney has circulated ever since...

gah....

The Deroose N. alata (which this is without a doubt, down to the white hanging basket and all!) is simply a N. Ventrata like all the rest. Someone somewhere years ago thought it looked like N. ventrata x alata to them and this baloney has circulated ever since...

Huh, so maybe I have grown ventrata then.

It is a really nice plant no matter what it is! Still jelly man >>

Thanks for clearing up "James"'s true identity for me. :) I think "alata" is a cooler word than "ventrata" (silly, I know), so I'll have to be on the lookout for an actual alata someday!

Back