What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HI, well i decided to turn my 55gallon fish tank into a 55gallon terrarium, and made a quick vid to see how it went, sorry for it not being the best vid but here it is...

http://s323.photobucket.com/albums/nn470/lazy-photographer/video/?action=view&current=c720e317.pbr

All the neps on my growlist are in the tank except my truncatas as there wasn't any room and there getting big, and the n. ampullaria. it is pictured in there but i decided not to take the chance as its a lowlander so i put it back in the nep seed starting tank with higher humidity and temps.

i will get an update posted of all of the plants with close ups in the next few months once everyone has a pitcher or 2. If your wondering what the thing in the back left corner is, i thought i read about putting a jar of water in the tank to keep humidity up so there is a jar with a submersable fishtank heater in there, which has actually or to what i believe has increased the humidity, you can tell just putting your hand in the tank.

In the vid they to me do seem a bit crowded, so in the future i do plan to do the same thing with a 30 gallon fish tank that is just sitting in the living room with no fish just full of water, collecting algae...it was hard scrubing the 55 clean the 30 is little worse...if you would like me to try to make another vid i will try, since christmas is comming up i will definately need more room for my cps, and will be looking to buy some more neps from forum members if you have something im interested in

Feel free to comment question, opinions to help improve, etc. i do plan hopefully with the help of christmas to spend some of the money i get to buy some new lighting fixtures, and possibly some type of fan to help circulate the air.

thanks to all that have traded with me my nep collection has greatly increased with trading with forum members.

ps: the sundew seeds have started to germinate, i have not seen any neps start though, hopefully they do, or it might just be i can't really find them easily in live sphagnum moss

LOL! For a few seconds there I was wondering if the plants would appear. It's a nice start and I'm sure you'll be tweaking as you go.

That looks good! I like your video presentation :p

thanks, hopefully everything grows nicely in there once they get bigger, i will be taking them out and hardening them off to widowsill growing but there still young and i would like to see them grow more in the winter months, my truncatas are 9+ inches in diameter and they redily produce new leaves even through winter and i have hardened them off. can't wait for some of these to start producing larger pitchers

Very nice! A great use for old aquariums. I can't wait for the update.

As for the cleaning of algae, have you tried a razor blade? Wet the side and slide with a blade. Just be careful around the silicon seals. But if you are not filling with water again it doesn't matter.

Very nice! A great use for old aquariums. I can't wait for the update.

As for the cleaning of algae, have you tried a razor blade? Wet the side and slide with a blade. Just be careful around the silicon seals. But if you are not filling with water again it doesn't matter.

... or an old credit or phone card works well too without the danger of scratching the glass.

thanks ill have to try that next time, i have one of those algae brushes which worked pretty well, not the blade, just had to put some work into scrubbing it, lol heres a pick of the 30 gallon just finished today, sorry i didn't make a vid, but heres it is...

lazy-photographer

there was soft algae so it was actually easier than the 55 gallon to clean. there aren't any plants in there and i probably wont put anything in there until i get a better light and something to increase the humidity, sorry its so dark the light in the fishtank doesn't work that great and the camera flash didn't help much

Hey Dustin, I was wondering how you harden your plants off to your windowsil I am hoping to grow my intermediate and highlands in my house and my lowlands outside so any advice would be great. I am just having a pain gettting my plants to grow in a tank. anyways happy growing and looks great thanks for the ideas.

Back