What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new N. Glabrata =) So Happy!!

how do you guys cool your highlanders?

there was just not even a couple days ago an entire thread made on that topic, go check it out

Lol sorry Cmm too excited :-D

What if I put ice in the plate and while it evaporates there is a fan softly blowing the evaporated ice air onto the plant. Would that work?

Ice on a plate with a fan or no fan isn't going to last very long. For the time it does last, it's not going to get your temperatures down to 55-60 at night. Anything uninsulated, such as a terrarium isn't going to work very well. To get something decent I'm afraid you'd have to go with a more elaborate setup which would involve quite a bit of money. Before you start fiddling with ice and moving your plant around, give it a go with your current conditions. It might work, it might not. If it doesn't, you can trade it for something that would be more suitable with the conditions you can provide.

Crystal

That looks like a great specimen. Wonderful size. It has been growing very well. :) NICE NICE!!! I would say something like 60F is fine. However, apart from elaborate cooling methods such as using an airconditioner, swamp cooler, I can't see how u can get a standard 75F or 70F all the way down to 60F. I tell ya from my experience water bottles aren't enough to give such a drop. Water bottles give me only a slight drop down to 58F or so from 60F.

if i did get a swamp cooler

how am I supposed to set it up to get the low temps?

I seriously don't know about swamp coolers man. THe only thing I know is that they are almost those 2 foot diameter fans which are used in greenhouses. It should use water to cool and also humidify the environment. I don't know about using it indoors...but I have considered it. ;)

For the most part....air and water with a fan you can almost expect it to be pretty cool. I mean In India for our hot 47C summers, we used to have something we commonly call air coolers...not air conditioners which are relatively rare. It is basically a fan in an enclousure side, with the other 3 sides containing hay over a grill. Water is then circulated over the hay and the resultant is an insane cold experience which would get temps down all the way to even 20C or lower. It was highly effective. Its a proven formula from experience and I have always wondered about trying to make something of that sort of my plants.

It's been about a month since you made this thread. How is your glabrata doing? Did you manage to lower the temps at night?

I'd say download something like The Weather Channel desktop thing, keep an eye on night temperatures and take advantage of them when you can.
A bit late, but whatever. ???

lol I have that temperature thing. @ Yellow Thanks for asking and the Glabrata is doing very well. It hasn't died yet and has made 3 new leaves. It looks like its going to pitcher soon

P.S. General question but do you think that humidity would be higher with an open or closed window?

P.S. General question but do you think that humidity would be higher with an open or closed window?
It depends on how humid it is outside.
If it's very humid, then yes, it will raise the humidity. If it's dry, then it could lower the humidity.

Glad to hear you plant is doing ok.

Hey guys I was wondering what you guys do when a pitcher dies. Do you guys cut only the pitcher off and leave the leaf and tendril or do you cut everything off and only leaf?

thanks

Cut the tendril where it attaches to the leaf.

xvart.

Back