What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new aquarium

Hello everyone.  I've had a small 5 gal. and a little goldfish bowl before but never an actual "big" aquarium.  It's 20 gallons.  I know it's not really that big compared to your guy's 55-110+ gallon tanks but it's pretty big to me.  I have 2 red eye tetras, 3 tri-fin black tetras, 2 platies (I think) and 2 blue gouramis. Nothing fancy since they're my starter fish.  In a few weeks I’ll probably get some rarer fish.  Any suggestions??

Here's a couple of pictures:

Aquarium%20far.JPG

Aquarium%20close.JPG

All the plants in there right now are plastic, some even glow in the dark
smile.gif
.  I also bought some live water plant bulbs and those should start growing in a week or so.

-buckeye

Hey Buckeye-
Congratulation! I just like to caution you that the blue gouramis may become a potention problem, I had some dwarf gouramis, and they peck at my danios.

I just made a 55 gallon tank and I think its pretty neat too! neon tetras, swordtail, danios.

I suggest you get some danios! You never can go wrong with them =D

Ah, plant bulbs! They are the cheapest, easiest to grow, most underrated aquatic plants. Generally speaking, you are safe with all livebearers (guppies, mollies, platys, & swordtails), as well as most tetras (excluding piranha, of course), danios, and anabantids (gouramis, for the most part) That's more than enough. I have seen an occasional individual fish be belligerent (blue gourami, angel), but they are characteristically peaceful community fish. The old rule of thumb for an aquarium is to have one one inch fish per gallon of tank. That's a general rule. You should see what wholesalers receive! Providing hiding places with plants and shale, etc.. is very helpful. Good luck.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Feb. 18 2004,20:41)]Ah, plant bulbs! They are the cheapest, easiest to grow, most underrated  aquatic plants. Generally speaking, you are safe with all livebearers (guppies, mollies, platys, & swordtails), as well as most tetras (excluding piranha, of course), danios, and anabantids (gouramis, for the most part) That's more than enough. I have seen an occasional individual fish be belligerent (blue gourami, angel), but they are characteristically peaceful community fish. The old rule of thumb for an aquarium is to have one one inch fish per gallon of tank. That's a general rule. You should see what wholesalers receive! Providing hiding places with plants and shale, etc.. is very helpful. Good luck.
yes, a 1 inch fish for every gallon of water...
but you can't have a 8 inch fish in 8 gallons of water. you have to take in account how fat the fish is and how tall. so a 8 inch fish would need a 20 gallon tank. a 24 inch pacu should ahve a 200 gallon tank. at that size thay are easily 3 inches fat and 9 inches tall.
Sorry, i had to say that, so newbs dont put a 30 inch fish in a 30 gallon aquarium lol
laugh.gif

wow.gif

tounge.gif

ghostface.gif

-spec
blues.gif

That's Tokay Gecko! Always wanted to use that in a sentence, but the opportunities are few and the audience is limited.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]just like to caution you that the blue gouramis may become a potention problem, I had some dwarf gouramis, and they peck at my danios.

Yes, my bigger gourami thinks he's the stud of the tank, so he chases the other one arround. He doesn't bother the other fish though. I found out on the internet that male gouramis are territorial to each other.  My sister has a tank and i might move the smaller one into her tank.  

Thanks everyone for the fish suggestions!  I'll have to check them out and see which i like the best!!
smile.gif

-buckeye

Back