What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my new $2500 mobile shooting bench

1977 Jeep CJ5, looks like its been garaged most of its life, odo reads 20k and change but im guessing its 120K.....

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

rust along the bottom off the tail gate and the dented in corner on the passenger side....looks like they tried to use bondo to fix it instead of pounding out the dent....looks like a grill guard from a pickup hit it or the backed in to a heavy duty fence post....
Untitled-3.jpg

crack in the paint by the driver side door.....not sure what caused it but isnt anything major...
Untitled-4.jpg

instrument panel
Untitled-6.jpg

the front seats were replaced sometime in the not to distant past....rear seat is prolly gonna be replaced with a split fold and tumble....gonna get strip it and paint it at some point cause i hate orange.....gonna redo the inside of the tub with bedliner....gotta rewhire the dash cause most the stuff dont work cause someone ripped the wires off and under the dash at one point and only the speedometer, oil pressure and voltage gauges work, nothing else, not even the headlights.....all in all should be a fun project.....it has the 258ci I6 that runs great.....gonna swap out all the fluids in the next couple days starting with the oil in the morning....

my genius brother decided to take it for a test run last night and got it stuck 20 minutes after pushing it off the trailer......something is off in the transfer case and it wont shift into 4wd even though the rear axle is shifting through the range fine.....after an hour of fighting with it we had my wife come with the truck to yank it out....
STUCK-1.jpg

do you have to lock the front hubs for 4 wheel drive?

nice lookin rig, pretty good shape for 77 too.

~billy

yep manual hubs.....hubs lock fine, just no power to the front axle.....problem is in the transfer case....

im was just curious about the hubs...what i did before was put my bronco up on jack stands(all 4 tires off the ground) then shift into 4x4 to check the hubs and t-case.

if you can find an auto shop at a local high school, they can fix it as a lesson to the kids, worked for me with my transmission plus it was free :)

~billy

wondering if we didnt have enough forward movement to get the hubs to engage.......been a long time since i last messed with manual hubs....the 95 Cherokee and all the trucks ive had are automatic hubs.....the truck we used for mud bogging in high school had manual hubs but all i remember was having to throw it in reverse for 20 feet or so after we unlocked them.....

That's a good buy even if it needs some work. The International Scout I had years ago was temperamental about going into or out of 4 WD, but once the hubs locked or unlocked it was fine. If they weren't willing to lock or unlock, I just had to roll forward a few inches or spin the wheels a little and then try again. Sometime again and again until I could do them all.

The previous owners drove that thing like an idiot. OH, that's your brother!

wondering if we didnt have enough forward movement to get the hubs to engage.......been a long time since i last messed with manual hubs....the 95 Cherokee and all the trucks ive had are automatic hubs.....the truck we used for mud bogging in high school had manual hubs but all i remember was having to throw it in reverse for 20 feet or so after we unlocked them.....

manual hubs should just work if you engage them, it shouldnt need to have forward movement, auto hubs needs the reverse to disengage.

~billy

well ill investigate it more after we finish swapping the major stuff with new on the engine and get that U joint swapped out.....looks like it might snap as soon as we put much stress on it......shoulda seen the plugs we pulled out of it tonight, looked like they havent been changed in 10 years......

Back