What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My nep from lowes :)

i have had it for acouple months and it growing great- it is noe finally turning a deep purple color of its leaves from sitting in direct sun outside acouple hours aday- it looks nice- anyone else have there neps looking like that?

I have a 'Judith Finn' that I put into direct sun and the leaves went from green to copper. I also have a macfarlanei x ventricosa that has a reddish tinge to the leaves from a bit much sun as well.

Yup, that's the value of good light-color! When your plant starts to develop pitchers the intense light will also help make bigger and more colorful pitchers in contrast a couple dim flourescent lights will only make small green pitchers. The only problem with bright light is keeping the humidity high enough at the same time so that the tender pitcher tendrils don't burn.

After a few leaves are produced in bright light conditions the leaves won't be as colorful anymore because the plant will have adjusted to the intensity but the size will continue to increase "quickly" and the leaves may start to exude a waxy coating on their top surface (depending upon species).

Well, I love the wax so that works.
smile.gif
Most of my neps have thicker waxier leaves. The thin leaves get a little to picky for me.

That explains the color difference completely on my emmarene. I put one pitcher and leaf in more direct sun than the rest of the plant and the forming pitcher is a solid orangish red, where the rest only have a little red on the lower half of the pitcher.

What nepenthes is it? I;ve been wanting a nep with colored leaves for such a while
confused.gif
Could anyone post some pics of their 'colored-leaves nepenthes'?
biggrin.gif
I know my judith finn is also getting copper leaves but the rest are just plain green
alien.gif

I think a lot of species can develop colored leaves, I've seen it on species I wouldn't have thought had it.
It may depend on the conditions.

I bought two types of neps from Lowe's, coccinea and Miranda. Miranda makes some really big leaves that redden in the sun. But, too much reddening can become browning. Now that we're on the downside with the sun, but it's still cloudy and raining, I can let them get more direct sun.

Back