What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Nano-Cube 12g

Colieo

Staff member
Here are some pics of my Nano-Cube 12g. It's been up-and running for about a week and a half. I soft cycled with LR from SeaLife Inc. I didn't have much of an ammonia spike ( I think the was limited die-off from the rock plus the soft-cycle are responsible) and the other tests look good.
Hitchhikers included several sponges, a (?) porites, several feather dusters, macros, and plenty of coraline. I also believe there are several pistol shrimp inside the rocks; I hear the clicking every night and yesterday I was sitting there and one of them pushed a molt out of it's hole.
Once I started getting diatoms and algae growth I decided to add a peppermint shrimp yesterday (on sale at the LFS). I know it seems early, but both the porites (?) and feather dusters open constantly and seem happy; I figured that wouldn't happen if the tank was still cycling.
I'll be getting some more rock as it looks a little low on the LR... I have 13lbs of a mix of LR and base rock along with a pound of SeaLife LS.
I can already see small, white copepods on the glass. I have several nass and cerith snails on the way.
As far as filtration goes, I have one NC sponge with filter floss for mechanical filtration, chamber 2 will be a fuge with cheato. I have an additional koralia 1 for more movement.

Here are some Macro's that I have yet to ID.
100_3196.jpg

My peppermint (sebastián). Very friendly, already eats from my hand...
100_3195.jpg

2 of the 6 feather dusters.
100_3194.jpg

More of my rockscape
100_3193.jpg

A sponge possibly?
100_3192.jpg

Hitchhiker porites and sponge.
100_3191.jpg

The whole setup.
100_3187.jpg

My plans for the tank is mainly just inverts. In addition to the livestock mentioned above, I'd like to have one large feather duster, one or two nano serpent stars, a few mushrooms, a small amount of xenia, a ricordia, and some zoa's. The corals, of course, will be a few months from now. I'm not planning on any fish, but if I do it'll be a royal gramma or a goby for the pistol shrimp.

Hit me with any ideas or comments!
Updates to come,
Cole

looks like your off to a good start. congrats! Is this your first one?

A sponge possibly?

I'm not an expert by any means, but it looks like sponge to me. Once your tank establishes it's self, you'll find all kinds of stuff like that growing all over.

I have a royal gramma in my 180 gal., and it is one of my favorite fish. You can't go wrong getting one.

I also believe there are several pistol shrimp inside the rocks; I hear the clicking every night and yesterday I was sitting there and one of them pushed a molt out of it's hole.

That is so cool. I love pistol shrimp. The first reef I had ,I bought some peppermint shrimp. Then one night one of them molted, and the molts were floating around in the tank, I thought they all died.:-D

Do you have a clean up crew? Might not hurt to get a few crabs and snails to throw in there. Just a thought.

Great pics again, and happy reefing!!!

Ya, the serpent stars, snails, and shrimp will be the clean-up crew.

Be careful those peperment shrimp can eat your zoas and corals . People on Nano-reef always talk about how they destroy corals or whatever sometimes they don't do anything I guess it is luck with the draw. I'm going to do my nano soon I'm just trying to make my dad promise that he will build a stand. Otherwise I'm set. Your lucky you have a LFS with something saltwater mine has zip it is all online or bust for livestock and a CUC.

nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that would be awesome if someone would grow seahorses:)???

Ahh, yet another hobby that can easily get out of control! Been there, done that, raised seahorses too. The trick is to get those small pink shrimp (and not store bought brine shrimp, their eggs are indigestible to seahorses) and other small crustaceans where the feed, and lots of small kelp. It's very labor intensive, not to mention expensive, but very rewarding and interesting. You'll also need mercuric halide lamps, about 400W which are the only things that produce the intensity of the blue wavelengths needed to grow corals, and their symbiotic algae

Rich

I'm not going to sea horses or fish just a little reef :)
Seahorses man those things need alot of care since you have to raise your won pods and other crustations.
That must have been very financially draining when you kept seahorses.

Back