What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My n. mixta is acting weird.

Hello, My N. Mixta, witch I’ve had for two years, is acting as though it is wilting. It is in the same amount of sun it has always been in and I’m keeping it watered. More specifically what its doing is the leaves are curling under at the edges and the newest leaf is drooping down when it used to be straight out. This happened in the last two days very suddenly. Also the newer leaves aren't drooping as much as the older leaves.

It sounds like either the humidity is not to it's liking or it somehow has damaged roots.
I think this is where Tony would recommend treating it like a cutting. Maybe he will chime in and advice that.

Good Luck,

Joe

If it's been two years, and you haven't ever re-potted it, it could also be that the media is going sour. How long has it been in the same pot?

Deffinately a concern when dealing with a plant that has done fine for 2 years then suddenly looks like it's wilting.

Perhaps it is something simple like a real low humidity spell or something but I doubt it.

Why do plants wilt? Excessive lose of moisture from the leaves beyond what the roots can absorb to keep up.

Potential reasons for it..
1.Excessive dry air from what the plant is normally accustomed to. The plant doesn't have the root mass available to absorb enough moisture fast enough in this case. Usually the plant recovers at night when humidity naturally increases. And the problem is short lived once the weather has returned to normal.
2. The plant has outgrown it's pot and root growth is maxxed out for the available space. The leaf mass continues to increase to a point where it starts running into the problem exhibited in #1.
3. Root loss either from damage or disease. Damage can be in the form of temporary from a repotting session, or from suffocation from overwatering or bad/old potting mix. Generally the plant shows more severe signs of wilting than either 1 or 2 and doesn't recover well when humidity is increased.

Tony

Hi all:

Tony:

Very interesting points to consider. I was just wondering if there is a table available where one can use as a guide on how big the pot of the nep should be based on the size of the plant?.

Of course, most of us just use common sense or intuition. Whether this is good enough, i wonder as well.

Gus

I repoted 8 months ago at most.

Back