What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My minors' pitchers are rotting!

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
For the past week, every single open pitcher on my three minors I got from NCBG have started to rot from the middle up/down because it caught almost up-to-the-rim flies in North Carolina, before I brought it home to Florida!
sad.gif
Now, the two biggest (two feet tall) pitchers are starting to rot as well! I'm going to lose all my pitchers, except for the one pitcher that is still developing!
sad.gif

mad.gif

sad.gif
I don't think this will ever happen again, atleast while it's still here in Florida, since Florida doesn't have anywhere near as many flies outside as NC does. But still, THIS IS SO SAD!!!!!!! Also, none of the pitchers ever produced any digestive juice at all.
confused.gif
Anyway, THIS IS SO SAD!!!

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:27pt;line-height:100%'>THIS IS SO SAD!!!</span></span>

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

So sorry!  At least it's still alive!  

SF

Well, true... I just hope it produces more 2+ foot pitchers!

Hey FTG,
I read somewhere else in the forum that if you put cotton or something similar into the mouth of the pitcher it will prevent it from overfeeding that way, and still allow you to enjoy the beauty of the pitchers.
smile.gif

Steve

Don't be sad. Know that your plant is well fed and will be even bigger next or even this year. Who knows it may send up more pitchers and you can put a light weight netting in the opening to prevent the insects from getting into the pitchers. This same thing often happens to me as the season wears on and the green flies come out by the millions. I plug the new pitchers or they fill up in a matter of days and fall over. The plants have had plenty to eat by this point and it does not hurt them.

I'm so sorry to that. I am sure that they will be extra healthy next year though. Two feet worth of flies is a lot of flies.LOL
biggrin.gif
Anyway, they will rebound. I live in North Carolina and the only place here that has that many flies is in the coastal plain up to about five miles from the coast. That is where the bog, swamps etc. are. Well now that I clarified that hopefully you don't think of NC as the land of the fly and the home bitten. Sorry bad joke.

Later
wink.gif
Wes

I'm so sorry to that. I am sure that they will be extra healthy next year though. Two feet worth of flies is a lot of flies.LOL
biggrin.gif
Anyway, they will rebound. I live in North Carolina and the only place here that has that many flies is in the coastal plain up to about five miles from the coast. That is where the bog, swamps etc. are. Well now that I clarified that hopefully you don't think of NC as the land of the fly and the home bitten. Sorry bad joke.

Later
wink.gif
Wes

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlytrapGurl @ July 28 2003,7:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't think this will ever happen again, atleast while it's still here in Florida, since Florida doesn't have anywhere near as many flies outside as NC does.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Okay, Sarraceniaobsessed and vft guy in SJ, read that over again.
wink.gif
I appreciate the advice, but I won't need it unless I move to NC or something LOL!
rolleyes.gif

Don't worry at all! It happens sometimes, but even if every plant pitcher is full, usually only one or two starts to grow brown. A pitcher can also survive happily with the upper and lower parts green but the middle brown. Maybe some more air circulation would help to prevent severe digestive burning.
Oh, and you won't see the pitchers produce digestive enzymes because they don't secrete any until they start catching insects. You also won't be able to see the liquid because the insects are in the way.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Alvin Meister @ July 29 2003,4:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh, and you won't see the pitchers produce digestive enzymes because they don't secrete any until they start catching insects.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
***stares blankly at Alvin*** Uhhhhhh... I know that LOL
tounge.gif
Also, after they got to where I was staying in NC, there wasn't a time when they weren't catching insects already... by the dozen. But even when it started out with only two little flies in one pitcher (and I had a clear veiw of the whole inner pitcher), struggling endlessly for two days, I still saw no juice. Could it be that, since they was obviously not catching much at NCBG, since there was nothing in the pitchers when I bought them, they weren't used to catching alot of bugs, so they weren't used to secreting juice? Nah.. that can't be it... they're ''programmed'' (I... guess you could call it that) to secrete juice... aw heck I don't know.

Greetings,
          FTG

The juice will be there somewhere at the bottom of the pile of insects!
biggrin.gif

Well, I know that. What I mean is, it seems like I would've been able to see the juice weeks ago when there were only two flies in one pitcher.
confused.gif

Back