What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My lot

dEsSiCaTa_UK

UNSC Sparten
Hope this is a good enough section, but heres all my plants together, i dont have any fancy green houses or anything but heres where i keep all my plants...the window sill :-))
Please let me know if anything needs to be changed as i only followed what it told me to do on the label. Here they are next to some of my better fossils.

room3.jpg

My original 2 i got from a garden centre

Setup.jpg

Few days later :D

plants2.jpg

Im already thinking of what to get next:-D
Heres some individual photos

Drosera aliciae

plants23.jpg

P9155435.jpg

Nepenthes atlanta
Sorry i forgot a pic of the whole plant :blush:

Atlanta.jpg

atlanta2.jpg

And finally my Dionaea

VFT.jpg

vfthead.jpg

You really should grow the venus flytrap (Dionaea) outside if you can. The pitcher plant should not be in standing water like that. They like to be moist but not sit in water. The aliciae would be really nice red if grown in more light. I would at least but the aliciae and pitcher plant on the other side of the drapes.

Ah ok, that day was over cast and its usually a bit sunnier than that, shall i put the sundew in with the fly trap then and put the pitcher just in a standard saucer?

Nice plants. The VFT won't have that nice red color for long if it stays in a windowsill. They like it outside more.

Are you sure?
Im in the crappy UK mind, september

nice plants.
the nepenthes isn't a alata, or 'Ventrata'. That company likes to mislable there neps.
like others said, the venus fly trap won't survive long term in a windowsill, so outside is better.
peace,
Zero

Lol, heres the labels i got them with

plants22.jpg

Dessy,
being in the UK, you should be able to grow your VFT outdoors 24/7/365!
you are very lucky in that respect..

check out this page for thoughts on indoor vs. outdoor growing:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page2.html

and yes, the VFT should be grown outdoors..it will do a billion times better outdoors that it will indoors on the windowsill..

in fact, outdoors is SO much better that the plant will thrive for decades outdoors,
while indoors it will be dead in a year..really..

Scot

Looking good :) I wonder what that nep is...maybe a raff?

Thanks, a little outside try want hurt it :)
BTW that nepethes, is it a rare one?:D

Looking good :) I wonder what that nep is...maybe a raff?

Looks like some sort of hybrid. Chances are it won't appreciate cool/highland conditions.

It might have some ampullaria in it...

Dessicata, you ought not to put it outside. It may not like the cool temps of the UK.

And no, I don't think it's rare. :blush: Sorry.

It'll be a beauty when it's older, and that's all that counts, right?

Yeah, saw some pictures of and they do look pretty fantastic i reckon, looks better than what was on the label, i thought thats what they might grow into:eek:

Just to check ive got it all right the pitcher should be in a saucer of water like a normal plant, the sundews ok, and the vft is\also alright?
I want to get some more carnivorous plants but want to get these sussed first

I keep all my tropical pitcher plants in saucers, but with no water I just keep them on the saucer so when I water them any extra water will go into it and I'll empty them on my indoor house plants.

Flytraps and sundews can sit in water with my plants I usually water them and once all the water is gone from the tray I water it again in three or two days.

nice collection D_u(c)k
i'll post mine soon

BTW you have fossils 2?
if so we have another thing in common :)

Thanks everyone, saturday at last so i`ll sort them all out then :)
And yeah i got quite a few fossils

More like a hookerina. I love how they put a ventralata pic with a alata name while the plant looks like neither.

Back