What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my lance leaf finally has dew!

i went to hawaii for a week, and put all my cp in quite a bit of water. I came back and amazingly my sundew not only has new leaves with dew, but have 8 bugs being digested!! i was amazed. i am soo proud of that, i thought it would never produce dew.

i have a few questions as well. in the picture you can see the bottom leaves (older ones) do not have any dew and are just doing nothing. what should i do with them, trim em off??? and how can i take a leaf cutting with this, which leaf... sorry i am quite a newbie. sorry bout the small pic

I never cut off a leaf if it has green on it because it is giving energy to the plant. The lower leaves on my D. adelae don't have any dew either, I think thats the way the old ones get. You can take a leaf cutting from any of the leaves. You might want to try increasing the light intensity on your plant, you will see alot more dew and more red color.
Good Luck
-Nick Z.

As Nick said, anything green is good. Old leaves that lose their dew don't normally re-gain it. Dew is a function of adequate lighting. Loss of dew normally occurs from stress, like from shipping.

Well what I noticed is that my adelae is nice and dewy if the temperatures are 20-25C. if it goes to say 27 - dew is all gone, totally, no matter the light, no matter the water, no matter anything, untill temps drop back to 25-, and then its all nice and dewy and shiny.

Does that mean that 30C ('bout 80 fahrenheit) is too much for my dews? Or is that just the case for the D. adelae?

Mine were at window sills all summer long and the temps ranged from mid-80's to low 90's. They still kept their dew.
confused.gif

All right then, I should just shut up my mind, and go with the flow.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Nov. 28 2005,10:20)]All right then, I should just shut up my mind, and go with the flow.  
smile.gif
lol.
can anyone tell me how to take a proper leaf cutting.? i never really learned how

Gingerly, yet firmly, while holding the plant in place, pull a whole leaf from the stem.

does the leaf have to have dew on it to be a successfull cutting?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]does the leaf have to have dew on it to be a successfull cutting?

Nope, 'cause as long as it's green, it's alive, and therefore use-able as a cutting. When you put your cutting on the soil, have it tentacle-side facing up, with a tiny bit of the end of the leaf buried in the soil.

I've used leaves with and without dew, young and old and as Drosera36 said as long as it's green, it should be fine. I have had great success by floating the leaves tenticle side up in RO water. Every week or so I change the water. In the beginning the leaves float but with time they sink to the bottom getting totally submerged in water and they still produce new plants. Some of the leaves may even turn brown or black. Most people advise removing these leaves to prevent fungus. However, I've even seen new plants emerge from a black piece before. I've also had great success using Drosera36's method.

I found that my lance leafs are very willing to make new clones. My mature lance leafs occasionally die but when they do they produce may more new plants from the roots below. Roots are also a good way to propagate lance leafs and I've found they take less time. Anyway, hope this helps.

Chris

Back