What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Kid Is Single-handedly Killing My Plants!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
My CP collection is currently scattered, due to space and dormancy considerations. My buckets of minibogs are with a co-worker, while the bulk of the collection is on the 5-tiered rack, a small rack for the Neps, our bedroom window sill, and the boys' window sill. On occasion, the boys' room gets too hot and they open the window. Although I have temperate plants there, they just can't take going from 75 to 25 in a short space of time. So I said to them, if they absolutely have to open the window, first move my plants to safety. Well..... the oldest boy, home for a week, doesn't know this and last night he opened the window. I was just making a list of plants to ship and wanted to send out a D. binata. All 4 trays on the window sill were frozen. I don't know right now what plants have actually died, but I know I can't ship anything!

And when I came home from work, I noticed that my water bath was room temp. I knew happened. The kid unplugged the cord so he could plug in his laptop. He didn't know. He's a fine boy, my pride and joy.... but I just can't wait to send him back to school!

He's a fine boy, my pride and joy.... but I just can't wait to send him back to school!
:-))

Maybe you should make some kind of sign and place it near the plants/rack(s)?

hehe, Jim, it's time to put those lab skills to use! If your lab is anything like mine, the only way to communicate anything even moderately important is to tape signs up! (DON'T TOUCH or DO NOT UNPLUG)

edit: joossa beat me to it! =)

If he did not know the changes, perhaps you should explain it to him so he will know what not to do? Just to avoid any future accidents, eh? Heh, sorry to hear about your plants.

He knows now! He won't read signs, though. Someone suggested an electrical field around the plants. Hmmmm......

He wont read the signs... well really he should be more considerate and pay attention. If I remember correctly, I have the same condition as your son, but he's gotta be more aware of his surroundings then.

I cannot speak for him, but
Sometimes, I too miss things that should be glaringly obvious. If I am not expecting to see something, I will not see it sometimes. If you change things around that were not there previously, it may not fully be on the list of "things to watch out for" despite the obvious. If you want to prevent this you should point out beforehand what has changed since his last visit. At the same time, he should be on the lookout for these things anyways. Paying attention to the environment is something you just have to watch out for, he should know that. But really it can be hard sometimes, though. Its just something that has to be worked at.

Yeah... like the time I decided our frogs wanted a glass of milk... mind you I was only like 4. It was sad though, I was only trying to share.

... thats not funny.

This is the same kid that knocked into a handful of pygmy sundew pots that were sitting at the kitchen window sill, spilling the contents onto the floor. Plants died and got mixed up. I think that's how I now have D. callistos mixed in D. pulchella, along with a mystery nitidula.

He wont read the signs... well really he should be more considerate and pay attention. If I remember correctly, I have the same condition as your son, but he's gotta be more aware of his surroundings then.

This is a different one. This one we think has ADD. But the experts said no. He is forever leaving lights on and losing his keys and USB and...

I have yet another son who supposedly has ADHD. So I've got one that has A.S.; one with ADHD; and one we strongly suspect has ADD... and we have a daughter that we once had tested foir hyperactivity. But the experts said she was only "highly active". Like what's the difference?

What the hell? Sounds like something's not clicking in your kid's head. I mean I can understand letting some cool air from a window, but opening a window to let in FREEZING air and leaving the window open long enough to FREEZE your plants? Yeah they need to stop being so forgetful and be respectful/mindful of other people's stuff. If the room is getting that cold (yes I realize the plants are near the window, but still), I don't understand how they can stand to leave the window open that long unless they're running off after opening the window. :0o: I say beat it into them! They're never too old for a good old fashioned spanking with a leather belt!

maybe too much! my baby cousin can rip my plants to shreds every time he comes to my house!!!

And the cat drinks out of the trays, when there's perfetly clean water in her dish. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya.

One word to solve everyones problems with people and plants generally. Greenhouse WITH locking door! :)

Well I have 4 siblings one more on the way,I just don't go by the plants when there around my 5 yearold brother understands. Darn this is complex maybe if you tried some very light discipline. When I had my minibog I was never there when my little 3 year old brother was there but now he gets it he is used to the maybe if you make them like you don't want them to be touched but make them seem as common as air(thats not interesting he'll leave them alone maybe?) Well my dad is cherry about me doing a pond so to keep them out a small fence with an electric strand of rope at the top :D

More familial sabotage: My wife was doing her aesthetic thing and decided to clean up the top of the plant rack. I had a some envelopes and a cup of B. liniflora seeds. She carefully placed the cup in a basket that used rfor shipping supplies... only I didn't know it. I was rifling through the basket, reorganizing it, unaware that she put the open cup of seeds in there. Then I noticed that things had been cleaned up and replaced by stuffed animals on the rack. We had a bit of an awkward moment there! Anyways, maybe half of the seeds were left in the cup. Half of those I sowed and the rest is going to be shipped out to a hobbyist.

And the cat drinks out of the trays, when there's perfetly clean water in her dish. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya.

At least the cat doesnt EAT the plants like mine does.. I would be extatic if all she did was just drink the water from the trays. Bad enough she has learned to drink from the aquarium now too... CATS.. ugghhhhh

anyhting like this
2240172993_bb60dbaed1.jpg

i found that photo on flickr its a gorgeous amp
BAD CHILD BAD!!! :nono:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/athenerafie/sets/72157603818612925/

Back