What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My jar Terrarium

• Thread starter wilsonLYM
  • Start date
Hi everyone,

my first post here. :) from Singapore
I need some help with watering tips for Closed terrarium.
my plant turn yellow starting from the bottom and mold "spidey web" found.
here is my setup
0R7Ff6.jpg

0xEfNl.jpg

the leaf turn white and soft
i have replot with new soil and new plant. and but small spidey still appear although i put lesser water.
1TuqRQ.jpg

i use a layer of charcoal on top of my gravel and i using terrarium mix soil it seem it like "peat moss, pertite and vermiculite n other".
now i opening up the lid and monitoring how it go.
anyone have watering tips and avoiding mold?

update of my other fittonia close Terrarium.
mzzW4B.jpg

not sure why the leaf closed together after a day??

n7iEVg.jpg

overwatered??? however the stick very lightly moist. yes there is condensation happening on the jar.

is there anyone very experienced with fittonia? :D

Cute setups!

Closed terraria do not generally do well long term. Moist stagnant air makes for great breeding ground for fungi and bacteria ... many of which can prove detrimental to the plants therein. Also, plants like those you are using -- if they find conditions to their liking -- will quickly outgrow the container. Furthermore, giving plants within a closed terrarium sufficient light to prevent etiolation without cooking the plants is often not possible.

Open terraria are usually a far better way to go as you are less likely to have mold issues or problems when putting them in a better lit area.

The plant turning yellow from the base up and going soft often indicates it has been infected by a fungus or bacteria.

The new leaves of the Fittonia closing up may indicate insufficient light.

Your setup with the turtles is too wet. In a closed terrarium, you should not have any water in the rock layer. The soil should only be barely moist. If you take a small handful and squeeze, NO water should drip from between your fingers. If it does, it is far too wet.

Thank DragonsEye :) indeed close terrarium is really hard. I really wonder how other can keep it for months and wonder if it grow better in air conditioner room.

Ko6x5A.jpg

sadly this terrarium died after few days. Molding found and plant wilting.
it puzzled me that this terrarium have onlyed water with 2teaspoon of waters or lesser, but alot of condensation.

mOacLz.jpg

Replot and replant with new plant and soil.
it turn out very well for a week so. everyday abit white mist condensation found on the glass, and i open the lid for 1-2hrs more to air out.

there was no condensation in this morning before i went to work, assuming everything is alright. 9hr later, half of my jar mist and fog with condensation.
one plant was badly mold and soft and yellow. red fittonia leaf was affected, was trimmed.
i replace with another plant after air out for a couples of hours and close the lid as my plants getting abit soft but no sign of leaf turning yellow.
this terrarium only water once with 3 tea spoons of water or less after it was built

T_T i dont understand how other able to keep them. I have another jar of fittonia terrarium that i bought from shop and it still doing very well. sometime really
amazed how much water youtuber or tutorial they spray and wet the jar comparing with my few little drop of water :D and still getting mold.
wonder will springtail help?

Last edited:
Most of those who say they are keeping such terrs alive for months or longer are lying. True, if one goes with plants like many mosses that can handle high humidity, low light, and stagnant air one is more likely to have some limited term success, but long term is unlikely. Matters are worse when one uses plants that require more light.

Empty the jar out. Thoroughly clean the jar. Microwave the soil for a few minutes on high to sterilize it. When remaking the setup, the media should be BARELY moist. Do not cover the jar. Watering will be required once in awhile -- might be weeks between waterings -- with frequency depending upon the humidity in your home. When you do water, a light misting is all. Wait a few days and recheck. You can always add a tiny bit more if needed, but removing water when you've given too much is almost impossible.

Back