What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My highland dipped down to 45 last night

I left the window open and the temp went down to 45. Should I be concerned?

Probably not, but I'd monitor them for a few days to be sure they're ok.

If they didnt freeze, should be fine

I would routinely expose my highland plants to those temperatures in the past, and sometimes even as low as 37F, and it seemed to help a lot. I would still do it if I could.

Being concerned would be a waste of energy anyway. It happened, learn. move on :-D

Last edited:
Just to echo what everyone else has said: I wouldn't be particularly concerned. I've grown HLs outside year-round in the Bay. That means the occasional low dip.

Mine spend most of the winter at 48, so I wouldn't be that worried. They don't like it in the sense that they don't really grow that much, but they don't really have a health issue either.

good to know Cruzzfish, thakn you !

I wouldn't make a habit to let them get that cold though. Mine only do for the winter winter(December-March ish), and that's because the room is hard to heat. It's usually only at night too. In the day it's like 55.

Last edited:
well if i close the window at night, it hovers around 50-52. I just forgot to close the window.

MY H/Ls frequently took dips in to the mid to low 40s, occasionally upper 30s at night with no issue.... The only thing to ever suffer were LL Hybrids or intermediates... in which case, they were moved long before the temperature ever dropped that low anyhow....

Back