What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first pitcher! Two questions...

• Thread starter kdlaws
  • Start date
Hey everyone,

I acquired my first Nepenthes plants (fusca and ventrata) about a year ago and consider myself an amateur when it comes to CPs. I'm growing them in houseplant conditions so of course I don't expect them to flourish, but I'm finally getting my first pitchers (other than what came on the plants) and I'm stoked!

The largest/most promising pitcher is on the ventrata and I noticed the very beginnings of the pitcher six weeks ago. The pitcher is now about 2" long (its leaf, excluding tendril and pitcher, is probably 5-6" long), which is bigger than the pitchers it came with, and it's filling with liquid, probably about 1/3 full now. Is there any way to tell when it's about to pop open? Are there any telltale signs?

I've noticed a few fruit flies buzzing around the plant in anticipation. I figure this is a good sign but they appear to have laid eggs on the underside of the ventrata's leaves and on the tendril near the pitcher. Is this anything to be concerned about? Could the larvae harm the plant?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Kim

You'll be able to tell when its about to open when the lid starts to look loose generally. You'll be able to see some separation between the lid and the rest of the pitcher instead of it all being one piece. Do you have a picture of the insect eggs? I'd generally remove any insect eggs laid on my plants.

Cool, thanks Grey Moss, I'll try to wait patiently!

I've attached a photo, just a cell phone shot so not sure how much it'll show. There are water droplets on the leaf but the smaller, well formed ovals are what I believe to be eggs. At the same time I discovered them there was a fruit fly* scurrying about on the leaf.

*To be clear, I'm no entomologist so I'm using the term "fruit fly" loosely [emoji6] They're little winged insects that are clearly drawn to this plant and can survive floating in the water tray seemingly indefinitely.
dc22c153f05f457689a2a6aced9829ed.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The small ovals you see aren't eggs at all but nectar secreted by the plant. Based off what you said about the insects around your plant they sound like fungus gnats, which hang around moist soil and are common around houseplants.

Good news about the nectar vs. eggs, thanks!! [emoji846]

These little critters are flying all around... don't fungus gnats generally stay near the substrate? Doesn't really matter I suppose... as soon as the pitcher opens, which I think will be soon, they'll all be dinner!

Thanks again for your help Grey Moss!
3f9e3dbf51e1e1c39b9f2d81cf45f0ca.jpg

What a difference a day makes! [emoji846]
ad6e637ea12d9616d81ff68e098e4e9f.jpg

Back