What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey Chrono. I agree w/ Starman. Sphagnum is okay, just not for long term. Once your plant is established (ie., after a year or so), I'd put it into some real Nep soil. I currently grow three Neps in pure lfs just because I haven't had to repot them yet.

-D. Lybrand

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dlybrand @ July 08 2005,8:07)]Hey Chrono. I agree w/ Starman. Sphagnum is okay, just not for long term. Once your plant is established (ie., after a year or so), I'd put it into some real Nep soil. I currently grow three Neps in pure lfs just because I haven't had to repot them yet.

-D. Lybrand
yeah but some people have their neps in spaghnum for years and years.....Treesmill Tropicals(One of the most famous Nep nurseries in Europe) have a lot of theirs in pure live spaghnum or in live spaghnum based mixes but like I said, I dont like reppoting my Neps unless its absolutely nessersarry, because whenever I repot it sets them back for a long time and they really dont take kindly to it
Althought a better mix would be live spaghnum with a bit of perlite and medium grade orchid bark thrown in

Dino is right in that the best thing to do for new nepenthes is to leave them alone to acclimate in their new surroundings as long as they are not in rotted media, which they probably aren't. They don't like being fussed with!

It's generally stagnant water that causes rot, too. So rain water running through your pots is unlikely to cause root rot even if it's nearly constant.

I just worry too much and I don't have it on a sunny windowsill I have it outside, I've been planning to put it on a sunny windowsill during the winter ONLY. I guess I'll wait to repot it then. Anyone know what I should do about the basal shoot? It's getting smothered by the mother plants, though it still has pitchers it's like... bent to do side, think it'll be alright? I took some pictures today, I have to get them put on a disc and I'll post them.

In nature Neps grow at all sorts of angles, so no need to worry....
and dont worry about the basal shoot, its not getting smothered by the mother plant(in fact, its connected to the mother plant and its providing most of its water and food)
However, leave it alone and dont mess with it
If you remove it it will most likely die as basal shoots need to be big and strong before they are ready to remove, otherwise they will just die
And when I mean big I mean about the current size of the mother plant
I prefer to leave basal shoots on though, they produce pitchers too and create a real bushy affect when theres lots of them

Yeah I know what you mean, it's trying to inflate 3 pitchers right now and it's interesting. to watch. I had a little scare earlier when I looked and some of the leaves were looking a little "sad" from the hot sun. The leaves are really interesting...they kind of reflect the plants mood. They look different every day for me.... Anyways, it's got a nice big pitcher on it now that is open, I'm not sure if it has eaten anything yet though. I can't even see in the pitcher it's so small. About the basal shoot, I wasn't really planning to take the basal shoot off or anything, I was just wondering if everything was okay. I don't really want it to die. And I never really realized that it was part of the mother plant which gets plenty of sunlight... Grrr, stupid me. x.x

Back