What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first Drosophyllum

I've been wanting one of these for a while now, Hopefully I can keep it alive. I mixed up soil according to the instructions in The Savage Garden of one part each peat, sand, perlite, pumice, and lava rock and topped the pot with more lava rock. Any advice would be appreciated!

Su27IDE.jpg

'Looks nice with the lava rock top treatment. In this part of the NW US I just keep mine outside, in summer, in full sun and water it once or twice a week. Keep an eye out for wilting for the first few weeks so you don't push it too far into dryness. With the soil you have used and the clay pot you are unlikely to have problems with rot.

Well it didn't take long to catch some food...

k2m2MuW.jpg

Drosophyllum is really good at catching things. When I had one, it would catch several large insects every night.

Well it's starting small but it'll get there. That's the smallest cranefly I've ever seen.

I hope you pushed it up against one of the leaves. I make a point of it or the plant won't get to enjoy any of its catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you pushed it up against one of the leaves. I make a point of it or the plant won't get to enjoy any of its catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually did that right after I took the picture. It's not the first time I've tried since my sundews have caught a few, but the first time it's actually worked since most craneflies are large enough to overcome the stickiness and free their bodies (but not their legs!)

Back