What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first cuttings!

• Thread starter wezx
  • Start date
i dont know how to put the pics in this website so ill explain here...i pulled out a leave and there wasnt any tissues there was juz a white colour stalk...i pulled out the whole leave but there wasnt white tissues...juz a long white stalk

I don't quite understand the question... well, a white stalk *is* the white tissue. That's what needs to be slightly under the soil when you put the cutting in it's own pot.

Greetings,
FTG

The best way to take a vft leaf cutting is to pull downward on the leaf so that some of the white portion is also removed from the underground bulb. This insures that you get a nice fleshy leaf portion that will have a high chance of budding out.

Below you will find a photo of my leaf cutting. The photo was taken some time ago and the new plantlets have traps.

VFTLeafCutting5-25-2003.jpg

Your cutting took three months to sprout???

No, that photo was just taken 3 months later. It took about one month to develope the first buds. However, I am now seeing the first roots.

3 months is typical...my typical grene VFT took that long to leaf cutting, to rooted plants.

thx for the information...is it normal for the leave to curl up and turn brownish?
thx

Ok I have a question... Assuming a cutting does not need dormancy.. Right now sounds like a pretty good time to make VFT cuttings.. Am I correct? Should I wait till spring?

Steve

Back