What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first cp flower.  picture inside.

This is my first CP flower.
smile.gif

Butterwort%20Flower%20(Medium).JPG

Hey Leslie,

Very nice! Is that p.primuliflora? It's so new it's not even purple yet
biggrin.gif

coolio! That's a nice closeup. You can even see the pollen grains inside...
biggrin.gif

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Leslie,
Real nice photo. Is this Pinguicula ionantha or the uncommon white flowered form of Pinguicula primuliflora?

Jason,
It may look like pollen but is actually just the hairy palate. The actual pollen is on the anthers under the stigma flap in the rear upper part of the flower. How many times I have wished that access to the pollen were as easy as that.</span>
smile_m_32.gif

I'm a little confused about primuliflora flower color. I bought one last August and it flowered light purple / iris, from beginning to end. I bought  another, hoping it was a different species. It wasn't, but it starts out white and the turns purple. The first one recently did the same as the second, white -> purple. They both ened up purple and producing plantlets, so technically, who cares? Is there an environmental conditions reason for that phenomenon?

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Jimscott,
I believe I have observed similar behavior in my own plants, concerning changes in flower color as they age. I hadn't thought about it much, busy with propagating. I will try to remember to take some notes as the next round of flowers emerges and will report them here when I do.</span>

There are many non-CP flowers that change color as they age. I have a crape myrtle that changes from bright pink, to pink edged with white to white as the flowers age; a form of coreopsis that starts out a deep wine red that produces a white edge as the flowers age; and a calla lily who's flowers are deep wine red and change to white as they age. I don't think its an unusual phenomenon...but of the all the plants I have that do this, they are all red forms that change to white. Oh...I did have a pink trillium that starts out snow white and changes to pink.

So it couldn't be that unusual to see ping flowers that change color like that too...could it? I've never really noticed if any of mine do this...I'll have to pay more attention.

Wickedthistle has observed the same phenomenon. I wonder if light or temp or humidity might be causing this. Speaking of non-CP plants, I have observed different color patterns within the same Johnny jump-up plant flowers - variations with yellow and purple. But that's probably more genetic than it is environmental.

I'm not sure what plant it is.  I got it from Franks.

I have it in my indoor 10 gallon tank with a 65 watt Fluorex on it.  The light is on for 12 hours a day. Temp is around 80 during day and 75 at night. Humidity is at 50% during the day and 65% when the light shuts off.

The flower now is taller and is starting to point down more. Weird.  Very cool and rewarding though.  I like flowers.
smile_m_32.gif

I like flowers too!
smile.gif
So I LOVE it when my plants flower!!
smile.gif

Are you a newb, Leslie? Just asking..........

I didnt think you were. How long have you been growing Cps?

About 1 month now.
Thanks to all these forums, I learned quick.
smile.gif

Wow, only 1 month.
smile.gif
I have been growing them since December 2003.

Back