What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I was at a garden center when I found this nepenthes. I grow 2 different species now, and do not have room for this new one, but my boss said something to me about bringing some plants into work. So what a perfect reason to buy it. It was $19.99. Marked Nepenthes "Alata". It looks to be from other pictures I've seen Nepenthes 'ventrata' which is a hybrid between Nepenthes ventricosa and Nepenthes alata. The pitchers are about 6".
My office has no windows. I took in a 4' - 2 40 watt bulb shop light fixture with a warm and a cool bulb. I think I've read on these forums that is a good bulb mix. I hope it will be enough light for it to grow. I mist it around 4 times a day so it can get used to the less humid air. I added a bowl with water under the hanging pot to also help with increasing the humidity. I have read differnt opinions on that.... certainly could not hurt. And of course took a cutting in case it did not make it.

567nepalata.jpg

I can't offer much help on what species it is, still a bit fuzzy on all the verying distinguishing points, but WOW! pretty!

Looks like a very healthy ventrata! Good find!

Very healthy ventrata, or European "alata." Being my first confusing ID question, and having two, I'm almost positive on that one.

They like humidity over 50% certainly. There's no way around it. More would be better. Ours hasn't dropped below 60% in so long I can't remember, usually it's higher. Misting all the time, I think, helps.

I've found them to be pretty heat and light tolerant. I've had to cook some in the Florida sun due to space considerations. Some of them can withstand more light than I thought any nep could. I've had -- cuttings -- of the ventrata grow in too much light.

cool , nice ventrata , good luck keeping it healthy in an office but if you do i'm sure your boss will be amazed . too bad i don't see neps that big over at my garden center .

Back