What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Favortie Darlingtonia!

I am somewhat of a expert with growing pitcher plants. But one of my favorite darlingtonia, looks sick (i have like 12 darlingtonia that look great in the basement under plant lights to keep the roots cool. Basement=50-60F=cool roots) But my favorite one upstairs in my window, dosnt look to good, he is a giant purple one, his skin, or what you want to call it, seems to be sagging, like falling away, rotting! and his other shoots are falling low! I put him in the fridge for about 3 minutes every few hours so his roots will be nice and cool, the way they like it. I am keeping him watered TONS because i was told they like there soil always moist. I have been doing this for about 4 weeks because i got him 4 weeks ago at a local freanks nursery. But now finally he is looking, well, sad! Please help!

He is probably too hot. My first Darlingtonia died because I wasn't able to keep it cool enough. I would put it in the basement with the other plants.

Nick

He is beggining to look horrible! I just put him in my basment under a high plant light. Please! If anyone has any tips, or know anyone who i could ask please tell me!

hi,
I don't know if you can save the sad looking pitchers as once the cells start to die they probably can't heal and are more likely to die. But leaving the plant in where you know the other cobra's are doing well should allow the new pitchers to grow well.
If it's really purple it's probably used to lots of light. I don't think it's a good idea to keep putting it in the fridge, it's roots can cope but I'm not sure about the leaves (I'm going by other types of plants which don't like the cold shock) I'd stick with the watering with cold water if you want to tend it.

if there is any rotting tissue you'd probably want to cut that off as it is a way in for bad bugs to attack the plant

I've not had too much experience with cobra's, but I know a bit about plants in general, and that's what I'm basing my "advice" on,
hope it comes good, just might take some time

good luck

While I will not claim to be an expert on the matter and only going off what I know from my one plant I am starting to believe that it is less a matter of the roots being cold and more a matter of water flow over the roots.

My plant has been growing outside on my patio for a year and is doing great. I have it in a 1:1 mix of perlite:LF sphag with a little lava rock and top dressed with live sphag. The pot is a white clay and it sits in a tray with 1-2" of water in it all the time. Every day I use a turkey baster to suck the water from the tray and squirt it around the roots. Mostly I only do this once a day but one weekends I might get the plant 3-4 times in one day. I do not do all the elaborite ice cube/refridgerator/snow maker tricks.

Here in Atlanta we have had highs in the mid to upper 90s for about the last month and my plant is growing strong and showing no problems.

If I were to make a guess as to what is wrong with your plant I would say that it is the fact that you put it in the refridgerator every hour. This is really too harsh a treatment and is likely doing more harm than good. Imagine that you were thrown into a pool of 4 deg C water every hour! Over time the constant shock to your system would more than likley end up killing you and so it is with your plant.

I would recommend that you put it in with your other plants and treat it very carefully.

Pyro

I am going to have to agree with Pyro. I have a bunch of cobras that I grow out side and they may like the roots cold but not the leaves.

Also I don't realy think that 3 mins in the fridge is enough to cool the roots unless its in a very thin small pot. So basically all you are doing is chilling the pitchers.:(

I wouldn't be surprised if you got the plant thinking that its time for dormacy with all of the coldness though and that's why the leaves are drooping.  
confused.gif
Keep it down stairs for a while hopefully it'll get better. Then when it is better it should be fine in the house on the window sill as long as the temp in your house isn't much over 80.

I appoligize, i messed up, i meant to say freezer not fridge. It is to late however, he passed two days ago.

Sorry to hear that. I love mine. It has gone through all my mess ups and has never died. I am so grateful.

Back