What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My easter hike on sleeping indian

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
Yesterday was so nice I couldn't stand being in the house so I decided to take a walk on Midland Hill aka Sleeping Indian.

2005_0327_144746AA.jpg

The head is on the left with the body to the right. It's easier to see with your own eyes than it is in this picture.

This is the bridge to the start of the trail. You have to cross the Arkansas River here. This used to be where a power plant was that supplied electricity to the town back in my grandpa's day.
2005_0327_144757AA.jpg

Here's a couple pics of the trail. The first is looking back through the trees towards the bridge.
2005_0327_145611AA.jpg

Up the trail..
2005_0327_150101AA.jpg

and down at the Arkansa River
2005_0327_150321AA.jpg

There was a little mining done on Midland Hill. Very few of them produced much. This one is just off the trail.
2005_0327_151028AA.jpg

Here's a pic of the trail farther up the hill.
2005_0327_171229AA.jpg

Indian Head rock. Don't know if that's what anybody else calls it but that's what my family has always called it
smile_n_32.gif

2005_0327_153850AA.jpg

This is where one of the trails comes out, just south of where the old Midland Railrod depot used to be (waayyyyy back when). The road is actually over the old railroad bed. When I was a kid it was rougher than a cob because of the depressions caused by the old railroad ties.
Midland%20Depot.jpg

and the end of the trail at the old railroad trestle. The trestles where dismantled during WW II for the iron during the scrap metal drives.
2005_0327_164015AA.jpg

Hope you liked 'em.
Steve

Very nice... looks kinda dry out there.

It's a bit arid here in the valley. Most of the moisture goes over or around us when it hits the mountains to the west of town.

That's beautiful country Steve. I love seeing where other people live. Its interesting. Especially when the terrain is so different than what I'm used to.

Looks like a lovely walk.
smile.gif
Thanks for sharing that.

Gotta love not having dial up at work! Nice pics!

Thanks guys. It had been a while since I walked this trail (or any trail for that matter). It was a fun outing and took about 3 hrs start to finish. I took about 80 pics on this hike. I'd forgotten how beautiful it is on Midland Hill. My family used to have picnics at the old depot spot occasionally when we came up from Missouri and later from Colo. Springs to visit my grandparents. There's a lot of family memories up there
laugh.gif
as well as a lot of history.

Beautiful! I love pics
smile_m_32.gif
Thanks for sharing
smile.gif
*Niki*

Thanks for the narrative as well as the pics.:D

Wonderful pictures! Thank you. April

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wickedthistle @ Mar. 29 2005,3:26)]looks like good drosophyllum country to me ;)
Drosophyllum?
smile_n_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Nice piccys there,if a tad dry.
Bye for now Julian

Dry as it is, it doesn't bother my cp's. Most of which get moved outside during the summer.

Very nice Steve,thankyou for sharing!

Jerry

Back