What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

today i felt really bored but a bit energetic and competent so i wanted to to take a ride on my bike , then i thought , why don't i try to rescue some cps from a few hardware stores . so i took a strole down the street with my mountain bike and first went to my grandmas house for some lunch then my road trip continued . it was really hot outside too , like about 95-99 degrees . anyways , i wanted to go to lowes first because yesterday i went to lowes with my grandfather to buy a facuet and i happened to find some cps there and the same type of lfs that pft sells ( i brought a 432 cubic inch bale ) . so i rode my bike about 3-5 miles to lowes , locked up my bike , went inside to the garden center and everything looked the same as the day before with the cps except some people brought some flytraps ( i hope the people know what there doing ). at first i thought this must have been cp heaven because all the flytraps( the only plants in the box ) were really healthy , probably the people that ran lowes actually knew how to care for these plants , then i looked at the plants that were left outside the box , it was a really horrible sight , a ton of dead - half dead cps ,  a dead s. purpurea that looked all dried and shriveled up and like it was there since lowes was built ( this lowes opened about 2 years ago ) i saw dead sundews , i don't even think there were any sundews , they were so shriveled up that i could  hardly tell the difference between the dead leaves and the lfs . i looked around and i really wanted to rescue all the cps there but i knew i would'nt be able to do that . 1 nepenthes hybrid seemed to have been stolen because all there was was the lfs and a few grass seedlings but there was one more left , it did'nt look really bad , dry soil , a few shrivled leaves , broken pot . i asked one of the people there if i could have it for free (at this moment i figured out i forgot to bring some money ) , the guy said " sure , we were gonna throw it away anyways " , how sad , so i took the plant . who would've thought a 13 year old kid could do so much . i looked around the store some more ( mosly the garden center ) and i found alot of dead non cps . i really wanted to buy some more lfs too because it was really cheap and i knew it was real lfs because it was the exact kind pft sells . anyways , i left the store and continued on to another one , home depot . i went there on my bike , and there were no cps so i went on . i went to another home depot that usually has cps for sell . i went to this one , at this point i was tired , hot , and thirsty but that did'nt stop me from rescuing some cps . i was so thirsty i was sarting to think the bird baths were drinking fountains , lol .anyways , i went to the plant section again , same type of company that i found the other cps at lowes ,  gublers . they only had 2 cps left , a half buried flytraps and a nep hybrid that i remebered seeing the last time i went to this home depot . again , i asked the people if i could have this nearly dieing plant and they said " ok , we were going to throw it away anyways " , the same old answer . i can't this plant i still alive after 2 weeks with a broken pot and dry soil and also a small basal shoot . then i went back to my grandmas house to get something to drink , water her plants , then i went home . did i mention i had to take the plants bareroot in a small plastic bag in my pocket because the pots were broken and the lfs smelled horrible . went i got home i was really tired , i was riding on my bikes for about 3 hours in the hot sun . i tooked the plants out my pocket and they were squashed , but they still look ok . i soaked all the plants , the entire plants in some superthrive to rid the shock and try to get some root growth there was no roots at all on the plants . I put rootone on the bottom of the plant , planted them in a 3 inch pot with orchid bark at the bottom and lfs just like gublers did it . then i watered it , un flattened the squashed leaves , put it in my greenhouse under lowland conditions with bright light . all I have to do now is hope that the plants survive , grow , pitcher ,  and reward me with a beautiful plant for saving there little lives .

Goldtrap, you really must have a kind heart to travel such a distance on a bicycle in the heat, just for the purpose of saving doomed cps. And think about the near-future reward you will receive when those plants grow to be healthy and robust.

Way to go.

i once got in trouble inside of my local garden center to try to get the cash register to give me some half dead flytraps for free or at least a small price , then the manager came and saw me trying to make a brive , man did i get in trouble , he told me was'nt allowed at the store again without my moms supervision . what a bummer . i hope the ones i got yesterday do ok , to ride on my bike under those conditions just to rescue a few cps sounds ridiculous but its kinda fun to do this .

btw , the basal shoot on the second nep i rescued died today .

Sounds great.. Next time though you better take a water bottle with you, or the life that could need saving may be your own.
wink.gif

Take care
Steve

lol , that remids me that i need a new spray bottle for my cps , anyways , i was trying to challenge myself not to stop for anything during my trip on th bike . it hink nurseries really need to be trained to learn how to care for every specific plant because lots of plants are dieing each year in nursery because of keeping them under different conditions and blah blah and they waste thousand of dollars because of dead plants .

Well done Goldtrap! Hopefully one of those will grow out for you (or more than one).

How could the manager do that, ban you from there store,its not like you were trashing the place. Personely if it was me i would have filled a complaint against that manager!
wink.gif
mad.gif

Back