What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My cephalotus

Hey all,
Here is my picture of plant

128-2825_IMG.JPG

Very nice plant. What conditions do you have it in?

Looks great. Could you maybe take a picture, only with a ruler for reference?

Agreed. Very nice plant. I've been wanting to get a ceph for a while now, you're making me jealous.

Thats my Cephalotus:

cephalotus10.jpg

Cheers,
Jan

Nice on both accounts. Jan's looks quite nice with the close-up.
I notice you have that lovely slime-algae stuff that creeps up in peat occasionally. Do you do anything about it(ie , scoop it up and fill the spot with fresh soil)?

Cheers,

Joe

Nice plants guys. I'm gonna have to borrow a digital camera. Do you feed them?

I have noticed some nice results in my propagated ceph youngins with BetaBioGold pellets. The pellets are very tiny and nearly perfectly round so they just drop right in. I tried fruitflies, but sometimes they stick to the sides or don't go all the way in. I've been feeding about every two weeks or so. Also, I have noticed quite a difference in growth with deep pots. Last fall, I repotted both my regular ceph & a Hummer's Giant ceph from 4 inch pots to very tall vase-like 6 diameter inch pots (around 12 inches tall). They just started growing robustly and I started getting really big traps on the Hummer's. I noticed the same thing about pot depth with my little propagated ones. The ones in the tall dixie cups are bigger than their counterparts in the 2 inch square pots.

I hope this info helps.

Bill

Wesley,
I currently have the plant under lowland conditions right now. Do not know the temps nor the humidity since I'm not home most of the time (and I don't have a plantsitter).

WildBill,
Actually I hardly feed my Cephalotus. But if I do, I would feed it baby crickets.

Here's another shot of the plant

128-2824_IMG.JPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] (eplants02 @ Feb. 14 2005,10:31)]Wesley,
I currently have the plant under lowland conditions right now. Do not know the temps nor the humidity since I'm not home most of the time (and I don't have a plantsitter).

WildBill,
Actually I hardly feed my Cephalotus. But if I do, I would feed it baby crickets.
Really, crickets? Sounds a little strong to me. I would think more along the lines of a half dozen flightless Drosophila hydei
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (WildBill @ Feb. 14 2005,8:02)]Nice plants guys.  I'm gonna have to borrow a digital camera.  Do you feed them?

I have noticed some nice results in my propagated ceph youngins with BetaBioGold pellets.  The pellets are very tiny and nearly perfectly round so they just drop right in. I tried fruitflies, but sometimes they stick to the sides or don't go all the way in.   I've been feeding about every two weeks or so.  Also, I have noticed quite a difference in growth with deep pots.  Last fall, I repotted both my regular ceph & a Hummer's Giant ceph from 4 inch pots to very tall vase-like 6 diameter inch pots (around 12 inches tall).  They just started growing robustly and I started getting really big traps on the Hummer's.  I noticed the same thing about pot depth with my little propagated ones.  The ones in the tall dixie cups are bigger than their counterparts in the 2 inch square pots.

I hope this info helps.

Bill
WildBill, what is your favorite growing medium for your Cephs?  Mine most certainly needs repotting because it stays small year after year but I have been afraid to do it for fear of shocking it.  The growth that is there is strong, but just very small...what do you recommend? (It is kept outdoors in the filtered shade of other CPs, San Diego.)
Ludwig

I use peat/sand 1:1 and never had any problems with cephaloti. They grow well even in planted terrariums.

Cheers,
Jan

I think the main thing with them is the water table issue. they don't like to be standing in water all the time. You can use the tray method as long as you let the tray dry out for a few days.
My favorite mix is 40% milled sphagnum , 40% perlite, 10% peat, 10% silica sand. I had one actually do fine in straight peat once and get 2.5" pitchers(Lowrie recommended 100% German peat once). I was a lazy waterer and did not keep the tray full, which was actually beneficial to the plant, lol.
Say, Jan: Do you know what the difference between German and Canadian peat is, just out of curiosity? Maybe we can trade a small bag and experiment, lol.

Cheers,

Joe

I use the "Charles Brewer" mix which I make up in a gallon ziplock bag. A few days before transplant, I take some (a spoonful or so) of the soil from the Ceph's current pot and mix it in with the new to 'innoculate' the new soil. That's something John Phillip taught me about.

I wish I could grow mine outside here. Right now my cephs grow in a very humid terrarium and do not ever stand in water.

Charles Brewer Mix:
"An open mixture comprising by volume:
45% dried spagnum moss
45% medium perlite
8% peat/sand mixture
2% wood charcoal
More sand/peat can be added and doesn't cause problems."

Thank you, I will try that...I only have one plant and would hate to lose it.
Ludwig

Hi, plants pictured before mine are very nice and beat mine hands down. HEHE, mine was given to my by PlantAKiss a few months back and has since became 3 plants... It grows in my green house in a mixture of 50/50 peat/sand and seams to be happy.
cephpitcher.jpg

ceph2-15-05.jpg

Hope you enjoyed.
Andrew

Your plant is nice as well, Andrew.

Back