What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first two neps -- ever -- both from petflytrap, the rafflesiana is top, the ventrata (ventricosa, [edit] -- I have some big ventrata) is bottom.  That is a "giant" rafflesiana pitcher to the left.  It's still young also.  
fpftneps.jpg

Remember the faded tricolor pitchers that I mistakenly called a "Cantley's Red"?  This is the new pitcher.  
tricolor.jpg

Here are three pitchers growing on a red ampullaria: Hi, Rob!
biggrin.gif
redamp.jpg

Hopefully these look pretty good.  I don't know why, but the camera seems to be focusing better on its own.  Fine, don't question it.

Well there you are. That definitely looks more like it. That turned out quite dark. I thought it was a Williams at first.
I myself have a giant red from Malaysiana Tropicals and a old form of Cantley's I got from a friend.

Regards,

Joe

When I did some cuttings, I placed some of them in the edges of the five really big hanging baskets I use for ventrata, Miranda, and coccinea on the porch.

Well, I decided to go crazy with a few cuttings -- I had a lot -- and try different things.  One was to leave some young whole leaves.  This leaf just hung on for a month after being cut, then grew this pitcher. You can see the nep sprout just barely coming out of the normal location for a cutting like that.  

It's not a great idea, I think it killed a couple cuttings -- but this might happen.  So, here is what it looks like:  
wleaf1.jpg

what kind of media do you use and what kind of chips are those on top

Jmenprkr,

I use a sort of organic process to make nep mix. Let's say I have some orchid bark (what's loose on top, smells very good) in an almost empty bag. I'll add some long sphag, vermiculite, charcoal, peat, and water. I'll mix it up. Sometimes I use a little silica or river rock sand to stretch what I have, if necessary.

Peat, bark, and sphag are for growing. Vermiculite, charcoal, perlite, sand, and whatnot are for drainage and rooting, or northiana (according to Savage Garden). That's hotly disputed if you read the board regularly.

I mix about 50-60% growing, 40-50% drainage and rooting.

I'm not using perlite any more because of the "flouride" post I read, or whatever.

That's also a hotly disputed topic about Perlite.
wink.gif

Personally I have had no problems with it whatsoever. I know of many people that have used it for years and years and no problems have been presented to them whatsoever. Don't be afraid to use it! I use it for terrestrial orchids, now if they can handle it, i'm sure Nepenthes can.

I like it when people spell it "pearlite". Sounds like a beverage or something.
wink.gif

Griffin:

Can you describe (or post some pics) showing the difference between 'Giant Red' and the Cantley crew? Is it actually bigger in pitcher, or what?

nepenthes gracilis,

I have not gone in and repotted my two giant ventrata, which are loaded up with perlite. But, now I feel more guilty when I use tap water on the ventrata. Thing is, they've been watered with Orlando water for their entire lives that I am aware of,* and been potted in a peat, perlite mix.

All I did was repot into twice-as-big pots, up the sun, clip the dead stuff, bump the humidity, and water. As Emeril might say, *BAM*!

I guess since it's hard to do a really good autopsy on or to question a plant, we are always guessing a little bit?
confused.gif

*The nursery up the street had them for at least two years.

About two months ago I posted photos of little N x mixta "Miranda" basal growth breaking the surface.  It has come a long way already.  

babypit.jpg

The ventrata and confederate jasmine vines cooperate with one another.  

vines1.jpg

Another.  Can you see the pitcher -- lurking -- there?

vines2.jpg

Back