What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My a.konjac has flowered

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I went up to my room to get my .45 because me an NickHubbel are about to go shoot our guns and I look over in the corner of my room and something two and half feet tall sticking out of an empty pot. I looked again and it the pot that I keep my A.konjac bulbs in. It's a flower. I have been waiting for three years for it to flower. This is my first one. I'm so excited.
It's still to cold to put it outside and it's going to stink. My wife will love it. lol

I'll get some pics on here within the next few days.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Well...forgive us, but I think we'll wait for the photos. lol

smile_n_32.gif

I deserve that.
confused.gif

biggrin.gif
I was thinkin the same thing. Your house will fill with the smell of rotting flesh. Still laughin funny guy?
laugh.gif

Thats cool! It's really exciting when a flower takes soo long and finally blooms, the anticipation waiting for the spike to unfurl is killer.

Joe

I'd like a piece of you (oops, freudian slip) piece of the love plants. Is that what A. konjak is? The leaf you sent the school shot up new growth just as you said it would.

This is not a love leaf, the common name is devils tounge. I do have bulbs to give away though. I was saving them for the NASC auction though.

I have an A. konjac that flowered three weeks ago.
Man.. the house reeked like a garbage can in August for about 2 days. Then I had two days of mild annoying odor.
My wife nearly made me put it in the basement.

My friend you have a treat ahead of you. My flower stalk was 48" tall when done. Wild Bill had one that was 79" tall...

Kirk
Fitchburg, Mass

I'm hoping by the time the lovely smell gets here it will be warm enough to put it out side. What's the coldest temp they can stand?

hmmmmmmm, ill have to watch the auction them. ive been wanting to try one of these.

Must be all that carma you've built up the last 2 weeks Ozzy.
smile_m_32.gif

Congrats!!!

Congrats Ozzy

It is too warm  for me to grow konjac well here but I have a couple of others that are doing well and are flowering.

Check out these babies:

spect-flower5.jpg

This is Amorphophallus spectabilis, I am possibly one of the only people to have this plant in cultivation.

spec2-flower.jpg

This is the one I am really proud of!
I collected this in Borneo a few months back and it is unnamed, one of about 4 I have collected that are possibly new species.
It is not yet fully opened at this point but I will post some mroe pics later as it does. It's about 3 feet tall at the moment.

Cheers, Troy.

I don't think I've ever heard of that plant before. Where is the plant/leaves part of it?

and congrats Ozzy
smile.gif

WOW fatboy,those are awesome!And Ozzy,you want to send me a bulb that's gonna grow and flower and then stinks?!?!Thanks a lot!
smile_n_32.gif
*Niki*

I wanted that part to be a nice surprize.

Hehe,thanks I appreciate that
smile_m_32.gif
*Niki*

Sorry if I blew it for you Ozzy.
smile_h_32.gif

How bout some pics of your konjac, it has an awesome flower.

Cheers, Troy.

My konjac has yet to flower :/ Looking to get more though, if any of you want to trade diffrent species drop me a PM Fatboy those are awsome!! keep me in mind when you propagate them or if you find you have some extra;)

-Jc

you discovered 4 possible new species?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Whoa Troy thats amazing!!!!!

wow cool! I'll have to buy one some day. are they the plants that have spikes inside and the flies are trapped inside for a day so that they pollinize the female flowers and then the male flowers mature and that's when the spikes dry out and release the flies?

Very very nice photos! Thanks for posting them!

Back