What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my 2nd annual killie attempt (Nothobranchius rubripinnis)

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
*My first run of annual killies (Nothobranchius palmqvisti) can be seen here http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124846 )*

I had gotten these eggs a little while back and wet them one month ago and got zero fry. Tonight I opened the bag and started checking them out to find that they are "eyes up" which is a way to tell they are ready to hatch. So, I will start some brine shrimp tonight or tomorrow and get them in a container of water. Updates to come!
Andrew

IMG_2552.JPG

Awesome! I was gonna try some Killies but never got around to it..

i sent a bunch of Nothobranchius rubripinnis to people all over Arizona at one time years ago. Pity that trying to keep them now that i am living in a cold location is very difficult..

Wow another pretty one! Can't wait to see them develop for you, be sure to post pics periodically!

Wonderful!

As a killifish fan, I loved your first thread. It was so much fun to read and was well documented, too.

I have kept many different species including a few Rivulus species such as R. Obscurus, R. Agilae and Diapterons; D. Cyanostictum and Fulgens.
Out of all the fish in my collection, I've been most successful at Rivulus species and P. Annulatus; all of which gave many eggs.

I haven't kept killies for a long time but I'm sort of coming back to it so it's a joy to watch someone else's efforts.

If you ever delve into the "non-annual" area (pardon me if you already have), I suggest you start culturing different kinds of live food. I believe that is the crucial point to success and it's why some people can't keep "difficult" species. Daphnia Moina especially works miracles and a good culture of green water always comes in handy. Java moss is another miracle but I see you have that already. For non-annual species and weird fish like Obscurus, pistia and lemna minor help loads; especially if they're with other fish.
I've also had great success with catappa leaves.

ps: I had also gotten my very first annual eggs from Duane! He's one of the most pro guys ever I've had the pleasure of communicating with. I had 100+ fry hatch from his peat, even though it ended up in a disaster because I was so new to it at the time and I didn't understand the logic of annual killies well.

ps: I had also gotten my very first annual eggs from Duane! He's one of the most pro guys ever I've had the pleasure of communicating with. I had 100+ fry hatch from his peat, even though it ended up in a disaster because I was so new to it at the time and I didn't understand the logic of annual killies well.

Thanks again for your kind words. Yes, disasters can happen when raising annual fry. They require a lot of food, and the wastes the fry produce can quickly destroy their water quality.

Looks like Andrew is getting bitten by the killifish bug. It will be exciting to follow his progress with this species. Perhaps some South American "magic peat" is in his future after this :rolleyes:

Duane

Well, I added water to the peat last night (started the BBS 24hrs before that) and so far I believe I count 6 fry. Looks like the redry period worked hopefully a few more fry pop up though...
Andrew

The 2.5g tank as is when I added the 6 fry.

IMG_2556.JPG

24 hr old Nothobranchius rubripinnis fry.

IMG_2558.JPG

Congrats on the fry, Andrew! That's a great looking rearing tank also. Raising and feeding 6 fry should be a cakewalk compared to the 20+ you raised earlier. Best of luck with the new species.

One day shy of 2 weeks old.

IMG_2674.JPG

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Guess I'll also update, I have 5 swimmers last I saw them all out (they like to hide in all that moss) and a couple belly sliders (fish that hatched too early and can not swim properly...) I sucked up all the peat about a week after hatching and checked through it and found more eggs "eyes up" so I put it back into storage and will rewet it 3 weeks from when I dried it to make sure I'm going to have enough girls for a good breeding tank.
Andrew

So, sorry I've been slack on updates... I ended having 4 boys and 2 girls... a few days ago, my largest male became a belly slider... I also found that one of my girls had eggs and was ready to breed so I put a peat bowl in there.

Back tracking some, since the hatch rate was so low on these guys I AGAIN dried the peat for another month and rewet it (as mentioned in prior post)... so I have another tank with about 16 fish in it that are one month behind these. this tank is just now starting to color up so as soon as I can put them all together I will be wetting a bag of peat of the fish I first raised. I'll try to get some pics up of these guys soon.

Andrew

Back