What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Murphy's law

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
You know the famous line, "If anything can go wrong - it will". There are others like, "Everybody rises to their highest level of incompetence" (Peter Principle) and, "The propensity for bread to land buttered side down is directly proportional to the cost of the carpet."

The latter holds true with CP's. Last year I received a carefully packaged Byblis liniflora and I took just as much care in attempting to unpackage it. Unfortunately, I accidently dropped it, dew side down and although I quickly got it onto soil, water, and covered - it died.

A similar thing happened when I went to re-pot a P. primuliflora. It fell to the floor and died within a week.

How about you?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The promale reproductive organty
laugh.gif
errrr...what was that??

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"If anything can go wrong - it will".
Story of my life. lol

Ooops! Got it corrected. Where are my pre-teen & teen typo finders when I need them?!  
biggrin.gif

LOL man, Jim, that is pretty funny, imagine such a slip-up in such a thread(and to think,you weren't even talking about you D.capensis in the window......)
Boy that is a good one, now I can't even remember what I was going to post
biggrin.gif

Yes, talk about Murphy's Law... now if only I can convince PAK to do something with the quote... I really do need a secretary. You'd never know I got straight A's in spelling.
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 08 2005,9:29)]Ooops! Got it corrected. Where's my pre-teen & teen typo finders when I need them?!
biggrin.gif
Eh hem... That should be, "Where are my pre-teen & teen typo finders when I need them?!"
confused.gif

smile_m_32.gif

~ Brett

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 08 2005,3:47)]Yes, talk about Murphy's Law... now if only I can convince PAK to do something with the quote... I really do need a secretary. You'd never know I got straight A's in spelling.  
confused.gif
How about typing?
smile_n_32.gif

yay! pick on jim day!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"Everybody rises to their highest level of incometence
you mean incompetence?
biggrin.gif

Typing? It's better than my handwriting. That's for sure! As far as the other typos are concerned.... noted & corrected.

Thanks, Luis!
smile.gif

Putt's Law: Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand.

And a few at random:

Never lie about unimportant things.

A subordinate will exercise independent judgment only when that judgment is wrong.

Everyone is incompetent
Corollary: Do it yourself; you are more tolerant of your own incompetence.

You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool mom.

Darnit. If I hadn't gone to B&N yesterday, I might've been able to catch those typos and participate in the holiday!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Aug. 08 2005,7:12)]Putt's Law: Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand.

And a few at random:

Never lie about unimportant things.

A subordinate will exercise independent judgment only when that judgment is wrong.

Everyone is incompetent
   Corollary: Do it yourself; you are more tolerant of your own incompetence.

You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool mom.
Bob..... thank you for the contributions!!!!! I was beginning to think that the topic itself was one, long, unintended Murphy's Law.

VFT.... Don't worry, like Hansel & Gretel, I will always leave a trail of unintended typos! (Now, was that a metaphor or a simile?)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 10 2005,6:48)]VFT.... Don't worry, like Hansel & Gretel, I will always leave a trail of unintended typos! (Now, was that a metaphor or a simile?)
Argh. I'll hafta look in the dictionary again.

simile: you used like or as

favorite use of laws:
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat; the two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link major metropolitan areas.

That one is actually kind of true!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Everyone is incompetent. Corollary:Do it yourself; you are more tolerant of your own incompetence.

Murphy's Law? Didn't Charles Bronson star in that? Or was it JimScott as Charles Bronson??

Murphys Law: the more carefully you unpack your byblis liniflora, the more it guarantees it will fly out of your hand and land dew-side down.

But what if you strapped a piece of buttered bread, butter side down, to the bottom of it's pot?

Now THERE'S a plan!!!!! Next time, Jim, use the buttered bread as laid out by April.

I'l consider it. But I'm trying to see how I can integrate duct tape, coat hangers, WD 40, or crazy glue.
smile_m_32.gif

"never play leapfrog with a unicorn."

I got that one of a murphys law poster.

Back