What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifida or Marston Dragon?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I'll probably have to take a better picture, but:

Identifying cultivars is a tough call. Usually if the provenance is in question so is the identity It's rare that the cultivar characteristics are so distinct that it "hits you right between the eyes" as such-and-such cultivar. That said here is the cultivar description and published standard photograph. I've emphasized what seem to me to be the most important parts:

http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi?name=marston+dragon&submit=&search=cultivars
N: $[Drosera ' Marston Dragon ' {Hort.Slack}]
P: Insect-Eat.Pl. & How to Grow Them:52 (1986)
S: =[Drosera binata {Labill.}]
B: A.Slack, Somerset, 1983
Nominant: A.Slack
Registrant: A.Slack
HC: Registered 29. 1. 2001 {JS}
Description: Insect-Eat.Pl. & How to Grow Them:52 (1986)

"Hybrid seedlings between the varieties (of [Drosera binata {Labill.}]) are seldom satisfactory, and I was fortunate in selecting one solitary seedling in 1983 which has proved itself to be of exceptional quality, and which I have named [Drosera ' Marston Dragon ' {Hort.Slack}]. Its pendulous stems are up to 36 cm (14 1/4 inches) long and bear blades the segments of which are as wide as those of [Drosera binata var. dichotoma {(Banks & Soland. ex Sm.) Mazrimas}], and are the largest I have seen in this section. They divide irregularly into two to eight points and are the same yellowish green as in [Drosera dichotoma {Banks & Soland. ex Sm.}] (sic!), but the reddish pink tentacles render them more attractive. A curious characteristic of the blade is the manner in which the segments spread sideways, often to a great length, the points curving round and clutching the air like talons, the whole reminding one very much of the feet of a chinese dragon. The flowers are large and are borne on long straight scapes, but again hardly seem to suit the weeping habit, especially if the plant is in a hanging basket, and I always remove them. In every respect I advise the same treatment as for [Drosera binata f. extrema {Hort. ex Gilbert}] (nom.nud.)."

Standard: Carniv.Pl.Newslett.29:105 (2000)
Etymology: after the originator's establishment Marston Exotics, Somerset, England

CPNv29n4-page-009_zpsf888201f.jpg

Last edited:
It's either a dichotoma or a marston dragon. Extrema has more points. Going to say dichotoma since the ends don't seem to curl upwards. Could also just be a normal binata v. Binata.

Color's wrong for dichotoma, most forms stay a notable green or yellowish color (save the tentacles of course). A large binata binata or possibly a smaller multifida form would be my guess, probably leaning toward multifida.

I took a closer look at these guys and I see absolutely NO branching whatsoever. I'm going to change it to straight up D. binata. I think they're mature enough to exhibit cultivar traits.

Back