What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving Plants from Ziplock to Open Pots

I was wondering at what size does everyone here start moving their plants from being totally covered, like in ziplock bags to more open community pots in a green house setting.

I jumped the gun on a pot of sundew, they were around 1/4-3/8" dia and took the pot out of the ziplock and placed it in a water tray and they all died off. They are all watered from the bottom only and with filtered water so I know that was not the cause.

I dont want it to happen again so I am looking for some advice.

If you've been cultivating the plants in ziplock bags for any period of time, you've got to remember that the humidity is at a saturation point -- and that any "sudden" change is likely to be stressful. I generally move Nepenthes from bags when I see new leaves develop.

What I have done in the past, especially when rooting cuttings, is to slightly open their bags, keep them in a shaded environment, and open them over the course of a week . . .

They need a slow transition, as BB says. Those plants aren't prepared for the water demands of reduced humidity or for air currents and, possibly, stronger light. Many plants can make a pretty substantial transition in a week but, back when I used to deflask orchids fairly regularly, I took much longer than a week for the transition. Unless you're running a commercial operation, what's the rush?

As above.... I keep plants covered in the transition, initially, and then uncover them during the day (re-cover at night) for a few days. After that I take the covering off permanently.

Thanks guys I will take my time a bit more with the next round of seedlings.

Back