What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most likely been posted before, but...incectacide

• Thread starter jon
  • Start date
Someone suggested Schultz mitacide/funicide/insectacide, but I can't locate this. Anyone else have other suggestions for getting rid of both mold and some unknown small bug that looks like a tick?

anything based on neem oil will fulfill all those three functions. However, there are also miticides/insecticides that are very effective because the plant absorbs the chemical, so when the insect feeds on the plant, it promptly croaks.
Hope this helps,
Peter

Yes, Peter, that does help, do you have any brand names or anything?

i suggested this awhile ago, and i got it from, home depot.

the insects that look like ticks are still there, they apparently hatched from eggs in the soil. i have never, EVER seen them on any plants, only in the soil. they are quite visible so if they were on the plant i'd see them. i inspected the roots for damage-no damage. they stay to themselves and havn't hurt anything, so i'm leaving them alone. they are completely harmless and if anything, good fodder for the plants.

have you tried totally submersing the plant in water for a day or two? i'd do that to kill the insects, then increase the air circulation to keep the mold away.

tech...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (technoracer @ July 29 2004,6:15)]have you tried totally submersing the plant in water for a day or two?  i'd do that to kill the insects, then increase the air circulation to keep the mold away.

tech...
It's a 10 gallon tanks and has a ton of plants that I DON'T want to risk killing.

AGH! THIS SUX! Not ONLY does the hardware stores (Home Depot, OSH) not carry Schultz, they don't carry any neem oil based products! Well, just going to have to do a good old internet search and buy it online...

well i have a 75 gallon tank, and i filled it up to cover all the soil. there is a "hole" in the soil in one corner of the tank that i insert a manual pump into so suck out the water.

this is how it works:
layer one, eggcrate
layer two, garden cloth to keep soil out of eggcrate
layer three, soil.

i flooded the tank for 24 hours, drained it, and they came back.

Yeah, home depot doesn't have alot of things... especially Cp related stuff
If you are looking for Neem Oil go to Target, Meijers, and maybe walmart and it should have plenty there in the garden section.

Good idea peter! I'll check there on saturday.

There has been a lot of discussion here lately about various bugs, and how to kill them...well 95% of them should just be left alone!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

if you have bugs living on the surface of your soil (moss) dont bother to do anything about them at all..they are fine, and will do no harm to your plants at all..in fact, trying to kill them will likely *harm* your plants, because strong poisons are never good for anything, (including plants), and you will also be killing or repelling your plants food supply..
the only time you should be reaching for the bug spray is when bugs are actually EATING your plants!
like aphids, etc..
and even then, a simple rinse under the kitchen faucet will probably do a perfectly fine job of getting rid of them..
I think people are panicing needlessly in many cases..

and mold? mold is FINE!!
(except during dormancy)
a growth of mold on the surface of the moss does no harm at all..and if you have mold in a terrarium, you need to change the conditons..
you need more light and/or better ventelation..
that will kill the mold and be better for your plants..
mold is generally a sign that something is wrong with the growing conditions..
some molds are perfectly normal on wet moss..its just a good home for them!
unless mold is reaching up and strangling your plants, leave it alone..
mold is never a problem outdoors in full sunlight..

a few tiny bugs crawling across the moss is not a problem at all..
you dont need to do anything about them..

Scot

btw-i get mold when i accidentally spill fishfood powder on the substrate it molds, i dont notice it untill it grows, so just because you have mold doesn't mean you have bad conditions because mold has never appeared unless food is spilled somewhere besides where it's supposed to be.

it's so awesome when you see a binata form curl around fish food, but not so awesome when you see mold on the soil
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the only time you should be reaching for the bug spray is when bugs are actually EATING your plants!
like aphids, etc..

Yes, that's my problem.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and mold? mold is FINE!
Not when it's a monoculture that's taken over my seed tray...

Well I've been having a mite problem with mites on my neps. The plants start looking ugly, don't pitcher and don't grow quickly. Spraying the plants really helped. I got my insecticide at Armstrongs nursery.
Peter

Ok, I fond it, the Shultz . *few*...happy happy joy joy!

lol congratulations, it has a REALLY... funkalicious smell.

Back