What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most efficient/cheapest automated cooling

• Thread starter lithopsman
  • Start date
Hello all!
I am wondering from you experianced highland growers how you cool your highland tanks cheaply and efficiently? I would prefer it to be something that I could put on a timer to cool at night. I am thinking a small fan, but does that do anything for plants, since they don't prespire? Thanks a million!!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

If you live in a dessert you can use an evaporative cooling system, otherwise a 98 dollar AC unit from walmart.

joe

Thanks, but I don't live in a desert, and my tank isn't big enough for A/C
confused.gif
wink.gif
sad.gif

I know that the good 'ol frozen water bottle method works, but how about ultrasonic humidifier and fan on timer? or thermostat/humidistat? Thanks again!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

An ultrasonic humidifier wouldn't do anything for cooling, and the mist that comes out it usually warm from the ultrasonic disc or better know as the nebulizer.
You don't necessarely need to be in a desert in order to utilize an evaporative cooler Joe, I have one in NY and it is one of the most usful pieces of equpiment I own...but I also see you point that it would be better and much more important for a desert grower as they work best if the RH% outside is quite low. Such as 40% or lower....the cooling effect would be quite high and humidity raising in the gh would be enhanced also.

?How do I use a swamp cooler in a 30 gallon tank for 4 highland plants? What should I use? Thanks
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

You really couldn't use a swamp cooler for a terrarium. I would go with the good old ice for now....what plants are you attempting to cool down anyways?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nepenthes gracilis @ April 23 2003,4:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...the mist that comes out it usually warm from the ultrasonic disc or better know as the nebulizer.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Nep. G, are you confusing this with the warm mist or steam humidifiers?  Ultrasonic humidifiers or cool mist humidifiers as the are also called, use high frequency vibration to produce mist.  There is not usually any heat involved.  My wife doesn't like them for that reason.  They cool the room down slightly.  I don't know how a nebulizer would work in a terrarium, but if tried, you should used distilled water.  Maybe refridgerate the water before putting it in the nebulizer.

Using ice is the cheapest as well as the simplest way to go.

How ultrasonic humidifiers work.
I'll be honest and admit that I only read the first paragraph of this link
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

Steve, my ultrasonic humidifier always warms my enclosures, that's why it is in the lowland chamber....maybe it's just my brand?
confused.gif

That could be Dustin.  Mine have all been the cool mist type and you can tell when it is running as the room feels slightly cooler.  I think it's because the mist draws heat out of the air as it goes from droplets to vapor.  Unless yours has a feature to warm the mist, I'm not sure why it warms your enclosures.  
They have so many different kinds in the stores now.  And what they sell in your area, I may never see in mine.  Maybe one of the other forum members has an idea of what's going on.

Thanks! Honestly, Steve, I only read the first 15 lines
tounge.gif

wow.gif
 Thanks for the info. I was wondering what stores you've found ultrasonic humidifiers at, and if a fan would do any cooling since plants don't prespire. The frozen bottled water is fine, as long as I'm home... But what do you if you're on vacation? or out late?
confused.gif
wink.gif
Thanks!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

Make sure that the "Cool mist" humidifier is really ultrasonic! I bought one before i was aware what exactly i was looking for that's a "cool mist" humidifier, but all it does is blow air through a "filter" that's kept wet from the reservoir.
mad.gif

Yeah, where can these things be purchased, how much is a decent one, and how much noise do they make?

Cheers

Ultrasonic usually are found in pharmacy stores, they are typically used when a person is sick. The mist helps break up the virus.....they will run for around 40 dollars and more. The highest I saw one was for $80, but it was of exceptional quality. The noist level is very low unless you can hear the ultrasonic nebulizer breaking up the water into the tiny microns producing the fog.
wink.gif

Thanks! I'm still trying to figure out the fan thing, though...
confused.gif

lithopsman, I don't think a fan by itself would do much cooling.  It would help circulate the cool air created by ice in the terraium tho'.  As for what to do while your gone, I can't help you other than to suggest having a friend or family member change the ice for you.  I think Nep. G, Swords or one of the other terrarium people can help you more on setting up an automatic cooling system than I can.

I agree the fan won't do much good, I use a large fan in my lowland room to keep the vfts and sarrs happy, and it does little to cool even with the humidifier going. If your indoor humidity is low you could try an evaporative cooling method such as a muffin fan blowing through a piece of filter with water running over it. Lots of work to make, easier to use ice cubes.

An ultrasonic humidifier will quickly warm a tank if it is put in the tank. They use quite a bit of energy that is converted to heat. However if you just blow the mist into the tank through a tube and you have low indoor humidity this may have a good cooling effect on a small tank, however it will quickly flood the tank within a few days. Still easier to use ice cubes.

joe

Hmmm... I wonder if you were using the ice method if a dose of dry ice now and then would be beneficial. Just pondering.

Can you use an air conditioner to cool the room or a room your tank is in while you are on vacation? You would need to experiment to see how long it takes to cool and how cool the tank gets based on the room ambient temperature.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dyflam @ April 24 2003,04:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmmm... I wonder if you were using the ice method if a dose of dry ice now and then would be beneficial. Just pondering.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Interesting thought Dyflam. Not only cool the terrarium but increase the CO2 level in the terrarium. Would need to be occasional though. I vagually recall a post just a while back were the CO2 levels created by a DIY CO2 generator caused the traps on VFTs to close. Not sure of the accuracy of that assertion tho'. Would also have to be careful of plants getting frost bite (or frozen) from being too close to the dry ice.

Actually that would not be a good idea UNLESS the ice was enclosed in an air tight structure. Plant absorb O2 at night and well if CO2 was in abundance that might not be good for 8-12hrs. of darkness/cooling.

Back