What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

moss

Do you think i could just use the lethal cp moss, "Green" moss for my salamader tank? Most sites said to use sphagnum moss but i have very little of it and i need to use it for my neps.

People will use green moss for salamanders, but before you do, please check the packaging and make sure the moss weren't colored in any way atrificially. Amphibs. are very sensitive to pollutants, as they obtain oxygen through skin as well as nostrils. If your moss is safe, soak the moss for 1/2 hour in some luke warm distilled water and squeeze out excess moisture.

Depending upon the species of salamander you have I would not recommend using straight sphagnum or peat moss (some of the store mixes are okay). The low ph of these mediums can cause ion loss and death in the salamander. At the very least it will severly stress the animal and possibly lead to an early death.
Pure soil that is uncontaminated with pesticides or herbicides is probably best. I also have used very fine cypress mulch that has been soaked and is then kept moist as this is a good substrate for salamanders.
Ed

Back