What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moss murdered by mushrooms

It's important to remember that mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of undersubstrate fungus. The fungus must have spread from your U. humboltii into the substrate that you have under the plants and then up into your pots.. This would explain why it's popping up everywhere
Yep, that's why I already did a big purge of moss that didn't have mushrooms in it but I could see the mycellium spreading in it. :(

I don't use any fungicides / pesticides at my place cos of my terrarium critters (tarantulas, crabs, mantids, etc), have heard rumors that even using the stuff in the same room is bad because of air circulation carrying it from one area to another and my room like like a wind tunnel, two room fans and an AC. I prefer not to risk it. If I need to kill bugs on a certain plant I use isopropyl alcohol.

might be good application for trichoderma
Seems like the idea behind Trichoderma is to stop one fungus with another. I got a few plants from a TF member who was really into the Trich and her pots turned green and gross long before any other I've ever had. I dunno if it's cos I didn't continue dosing the plants or what but that was na-stay!

I'll just repot on Tuesday with some fresh moss and cross my digits I'm able to get rid of the sneaky mycellium.

SOB!!! :censor:

A month later to the day after repotting in all new moss and new pots the little Shrooms are back. I actually could smell them (like a sweet metallic smell) before I saw the moss turning white from their presence.

I have been thinking of trying a Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) soil flush on the three plants who's moss is currently turning white. According to this website H202 will kill fungus (shrooms are a fungus) and is an OK supplement to use on plants when diluted within reason. Before I go and try it, I was curious if anyone else has tried using H2O2 on their Nepenthes and what concentration you used of standard 3% household / medicine cabinet peroxide to distilled water.

Also, I did not repot one plant (N. jacquelinae) after it's moss turned white last time from the shrooms (the fruiting stopped in this pot after repeat plucking and there is no more smell) and it appears the moss is starting to come back even after the "whiteout":

July
jacquelinae2.jpg

August
jacquelinae3.jpg

Last edited:
Trichoderma might be the way to go. This fungus was first isolated as a pest on other mushrooms and fungi. Could see it going to town and eating this shroom....

Back