What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mosquito larvae in my water trays

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm lazy too!)

hey me too
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]now if you ask me that's a little over the top... i mean HOW can they catch so much? wow! but I guess they have their reasons for saying that and I have none :p

well a humingbird with a similar matabolism can use the calories and protein from a single bug for up to 10 minuits before it runs out and needs another

funny thing is that bats have a much less efficient breathing mechanism.

The little blood suckers are attracted to bananas:) I have an adquatic Utric I (gibba) I can ship you a piece. It will probibly be able to take care of 30% of the blood suckers. The gibba will fit in at least two trays at first (depeding on how big the trays are). But just think if your cps eat the blood suckers (aka vampire bugs) then your cps are actually vampirous. Well quazy vampirous since they use all the insects fluids.

I don't think they're attracted to bannanas. They're attracted to you if you've EATEN a banana because bananas are rich in potassium and they need the potassium to lay eggs or something.

20 million bats eating 200 tons of insects in a night means each ate about 1/3 ounce.

I've been told a weekly water change is adequate for our mosquitoes in CT.

Yeah, I used to have a bat box down at my parents' place when I was younger, but when I went away to school it wasn't something I wanted to try taking. And I'm not sure how bats would take to living in my apartment.
Treaqum, that's a very generous offer, and I'd be happy to take you up on it. I don't have much to offer right now in return so far as trades, but I'll PM you and we can discuss it.
You guys know that they used to think that people evolved from bats? There's strong skeletal and anatomical resemblance, but DNA testing did a pretty good job of refuting that theory in the 70's, I think. It's still pretty cool though. :)
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pinkerton @ Jan. 17 2005,11:42)]i find my sundews take fine care of the mosquitos here. i'm in Everett, WA just bit farther north. they also seem to die off (or down) this time of the year. besides, if the plants don't get 'em my cats have a blast chatching the ones that slip through.
...of course the down side is i've lost plants from them tearing around the place too. it's an odd harmony.
Your cats chase the mosquitos? How big are the mosquitos in your neck of the woods?
smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pinkerton @ Jan. 17 2005,11:42)]i find my sundews take fine care of the mosquitos here. i'm in Everett, WA just bit farther north. they also seem to die off (or down) this time of the year. besides, if the plants don't get 'em my cats have a blast chatching the ones that slip through.
...of course the down side is i've lost plants from them tearing around the place too. it's an odd harmony.
How small are the cats?!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You guys know that they used to think that people evolved from bats? There's strong skeletal and anatomical resemblance, but DNA testing did a pretty good job of refuting that theory in the 70's
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

that's ridiculous... WHO thought that?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I don't remember who came up with that theory in particular, but I do know it was advanced by some evolutionary paleontologists before the case for descent from apes was as well documented as it is today (around the time of the Piltdown man discovery, I think.) Back in high school I did an art project contrasting the skeleton of a pig-nosed bat with a gibbon and a human. Here's some info. Hehe, interestingly, while searching for this, I found quite a few pages explaining Creationist refutations of Darwinism using bats as citations and examples. Quite the hot topic!
~Joe

OY!!! amazing what people used to think :p
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"What would have happened if Man had evolved from something besides a Monkey?" Well, what would have happened?
then we wouldn't be humans! duh! lol.

Shortest gestation for mosquitoes, from hatchling to adult--------- four days. Some take ten.

Thanks Bugweed, that's some critical info. :)
~Joe

Back