What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More reverse osmosis questions

Ok, I scored the little adapter I needed to make the water inlet on the R/O machine fit on my sink at home depot (about $2.89) and everything fits together now. I will go get a water storage tub tomorrow and start it up but I'm curious, the "manual" (one xeroxed sheet of paper) says to never let the TFC membrane go dry but no explanation of how the membrane would go dry or how I would/could accidentally dry it out. I plan on leaving the unit hooked up except for when I'm doing dishes cleaning house or some other non-crucial water quality type jobs. Leaving it hooked up (but not running as I won't need 50 gals of water a day) is OK isn't it? I won't be removing the membrane from the casing until I replace it (says 25 - 30,000 gallons) it won't dry out using it in the manner I intend will it?

Also, how hard should I be running the water into the RO machine? Do I turn the faucet handle all the way on or just a trickle? I once had an at the sink DI filter and it could only handle a very small stream but then there was no waste water either.

Can anyone explain to me the flush valve kit?
It came with another single sheet of xeroxed instructions and a missing part (according to the drawing on the sheet), but I can add a length of 1/4" rigid tubing easily enough. What does this "maintenance item" do exactly and how often should I use it? Do I simply turn the balll valve on the piece or is there more to it?

Crank open the faucet as much as you can. The more pressure in the unit the better. It is the pressure that drives the water through the membrane. I don't think you will have a problem with it drying out. On the contrary you need to be careful if it sits for a long period of time full of water. Let the system run for a little bit to clear out before you collect the RO water.

Sorry not sure how to hook up your flush valve kit.
Tony

Thanks Tony!

The info sheet says it's rated for 60 psi but I don't know what psi comes out of a kitchen sink.

So you don't use a flushvalve? In the catalogue it said this was an "essential" piece to the life of your TFC membrane, is this just advertising hype?

I had considered getting a flush valve. It is supposed to prolong the life of the membrane but I wouldn't call it essential.
Tony

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The info sheet says it's rated for 60 psi but I don't know what psi comes out of a kitchen sink.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

There is something called a regulator which controls the water pressure to your house, and it is usually about 55 max, and on older houses it is typically less.

OK, thanks folks! I'm off to get a clear storage tub with a lid.

Back