What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More nep advice bical and amp

Hi,

I am after more help and advice on a couple of my neps that I have, I have not had them long and would like to check and make sure I am growing them OK and find out more info from the helpful guys on the forum.

my questions are

Light- how much do they like or need? have been told they don't need or like much
Is it ok if my day temps are 70-85F but my night temps can drop to 60F or do they need it above 70 all the time really?

I have them in a windowsill terrarium which has constant high humidity is this needed.

What is the best way to grow these plants and give them the best possible chance?

Thanks

My bicalcarata was boomin' last summer.
In 90*F+ day temps, almost 100% humidity. Night temperatures not below 76.
Yes, it got cranky the second the weather wasn't killer.
I've heard it described as "ultralowland" and "90/90" in terms of temperature humidity. But that makes the window very small, since there's such a thing as too hot, as well.
I don't have personal experience with Ampullaria, but it's my understanding that while its slightly more forgiving than bicalcarata, it's not by much.

These are nearly, if not, THE most lowland nepenthes ever. So unless your plants end up being magically adaptable or little intermediate weirdos ;) they'll be fine with the humidity, but definitely need higher temps. I'd try to keep it well above 70 at ALL times, like I said, once temperatures began slipping around and past 76 my bical came to a grinding halt. Try to shoot for atleast 80's in the day.

As for lighting, bicalcarata seems happier in diffused lighting.

In my experience, N. ampullaria is very easy! It is much more forgiving temperature wise than other lowlanders. I find that aslong as it has good humidity, it can survive warmer highland conditions.

Both these plants do very well in bright light, I grew them under 240 Watts of fluorescents and then moved them to 400 Watts of metal halide lighting. Temps throughout the year: 80-100*F days / 70-75*F nights , Humidity 75-100%.

In these true lowland conditions I had the N. bicalcarata go from a standard 3" seedling to a six foot diameter plant in around 2-3 years and N. ampullaria become a carpet of pitchers with one huge vine in that same time. I don't know how well they will grow in improper conditions, I do what I can to give them what they want to get the most out of them.

I grow N.ampullaria with 80F days and 68F nights and 75% humidity and it does very well. I grow it under fairly bright light.

N. bicalcarata can grow with drops of temperature down to sixty, but it will not grow much, or pitcher, or be happy. It needs those night time temps to be about 68-72 give or take some. The day time temperatures I've noticed can be a little more sloppy, but the plant will definitely grow at its best with temperatures in the high 80's during the day. Also, as much humidity as possible is key. As far as lighting goes, it seems to me that lighting is the condition that N. bicalcarata cares least about.

In my experience Bical likes it wet. I have been told in the wild it has been seen growing in boggy conditions. It likes it hot and humid. Mine died from getting too dry and too cold in the winter. My GH would get down to 50. It did ok the first winter but the second winter it was kept a lil dryer and the combo killed both. I plan on replacing eventually it is one of my favorites.

Yes,I had forgotten that, N. bicalcarata was the only nepenthes I ever kept on a water tray. When they got to the huge size (3 feet in diameter and up) their pots were always dry/light so the tray was the only way to keep it actually wet. I'd just make sure there was around 1" in the tray.

Back