What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More astounding behavior

• Thread starter steveo
  • Start date
My bathroom-dwelling adelae catches a small beetle that crashed into it upside-down. The few tentacles on this leaf have a firm hold of the shiny, impenetrable back of the beetle. It can't even get a wiggle going, though its legs are trying without hope of success to get some purchase on the air.

Next day, I look and the plant has turned the bug around! Now the same tentacles are firmly attached to the underbelly of the (dead) beetle, and its back is unemcumbered!

What is the answer here? Did the plant let go of the unappetizing parts, and the bug just happened to get immediately recaptured? Do they turn prey around, looking for an opening?

Is this thing going to be taking my keys and driving my car next week? What's the insurance payment on a car if a plant is on the driver's list? If I get it a Volkswagen Beetle will I be performing some kind of crime against nature?

Steve

LOL Steveo.
smile.gif
Interesting observation though. I wouldn't think they could turn a beetle but who knows.

Perhaps the beetle turned it slef around and became stuck again, this time on it's stomch perminately. Thta is still neat though! I am still confused though!
smile.gif
:confused:

I had a beetle get caught in my VFT head-first a few weels ago. It refused to die! It lived for almost a week with its head stuck in there before finally giving up the ghost. I tried to rescue it, but unfortunately he/she was really stuck. Poor guy!

Pat

Back