What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mixing supplements?

I already water my plants with ST treated water but I was told that I could also use orchid food thats 30-10-10 on my neps and that they've had good results doing so. I was looking around in my garage for something unrelated to cps and I came across some 30-10-10 spoonit orchid food. I guess my mom had bought a few weeks ago for her orchid. It says to mix it with water and not to dose it dry. Is it alright if I mix this stuff in the same water I added superthrive to? or will I have to make up a second batch of water just for the orchid food so that the ST and the spoonit don't mix?

I have mixed ST with several other fertilizers and had no problems although not with CP's specifically. ST however mixes with fertilizer just fine, don't leave standing longer than 24 hrs though. I've done it, there's no chemical reaction. I don't use it after 24 hrs. I don't remember where I heard that. Perhaps someone else knows more.

Joe
smile.gif

i don't hink you will have a problem mixing superthrive with fertilizer, but i will ask why do you want to use this on your naps? if you just want to experiment, that's fine, but you run the risk of burning the roots on your plant using fertilizer.
from my experience, you can use weak soultions on fertilizer on neps both in the soil and as a mist on the leaves. if you use it in the soil, just be sure to rinse the pot with pure water often. the general concensus (any my belief) is that insects work the best for fertilizer.

enjoy!
techno...

I'm in league with technorancer on this one.

Lots of people fertilize Neps (and other CP's for that matter), and the plants appear to appreciate orchid/epiphytic fertilizer. It seems like, for Nepenthes, it is best to stick with foliar feeding. That method is preferred by many for several reasons, namely: it minimizes potential root damage, and it does not "contaminate" the pot/soil.
I have noticed that *watering* my plants with Superthrive really causes the algae in the pot to take off -that's why I stick to foliar feeding.

Superthrive can be mixed with fertilizers -I, too, heard that one should not let the treated water sit for ~24 hours. When I add Superthrive to water and let the water sit, I notice that the water changes color after a while, dunno if that means anything or not.

Flip Side, it sounds as if you are always watering your Neps with Superthrive. You may want to stick to a less constant schedule of Superthrivin'. Once a month or so is how often I Superthrive/fertilize plants, and that is not even every plant -just a few that I am worried about, those that have been repotted, or those that are new additions to my growing environment. Using this schedule, I find that the plants are happy and I have few problems with algae and unwanted guests.
-trev

thanks for the info, I think I'll just stick to the ST then I'd hate to burn my plants... trev, I only water my plants about once every 3 weeks or so since they are in alot of humidity in a closed miniature greenhouse do you/guys still think that is far too often?

Watering once a month sounds fine.
smile.gif
As for superthrive, it ha proven to me that it really only shows its true effect on poor health or sickly plants. ST applied to a healthy vigorous plant will do nothing more than maybe help aid nutrients to the plant, but a huge increase in growth will not happen.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Mar. 30 2004,6:20)]ST applied to a healthy vigorous plant will do nothing more than maybe help aid nutrients to the plant, but a huge increase in growth will not happen.
Thats what I figured.....

I started using it on some unhealthy lowes neps and just didn't bother not using it on the neps that were fine....

Back