What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Misting and humidity

From what I understand as a new cp owner, my CPs would probably benefit from being misted with a spray bottle every once in a while. I'm not ready to buy terrariums or greenhouses just yet, so spray bottles it is.
smile.gif

My question:

For my one Dionaea, two P. primuliflorae, and 1 Sarracenia of unknown genus, does it matter what I mist them with? Does the misting water need to be distilled as well?

Dionaea-No misting.

Sarracenia-No misting.

Pinguicula-Little experience, ask someone else.

With all, you can mist, if you do, it must be distilled. Pings and Drosera typically don't appreciate misting, it messes up the glue.

Hmm...which plants do require misting, then?

I know that sundews don't like it...Utricularia? Nepenthes?

I have kept ~20 varieties of Utricularia this past year and for the most part they were kept outside. They received rainwater and laboratory grade deionized water, alternating flooding and drying conditions. They spread well. They didn't seem to be terribly picky plants, except for the U. alpina tubers. lNo misting required.

A lot of people mist their Nepenthes. Some people think that the "dew" on sundews and "grease" on pings is water and therefore require direct watering on their leaves. However, it is more significantly a function of proper lighting.

Your grow list reads like something out of Home Depot, possibly Lowes or some local garden center that brought in a shipment of CP's. Can you post a picture of the unknown plants?

No mention of feline woes this time. Hmmmmm.....
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Ones that appreciate misting are: Nepenthes, Heliamphora, some Ultrics, Cephalotous. There may be others, but those are the ones i know off the top of my head.

In my experience, all of them like misting every now and then when the humidity is low. Droser'a and Ping's like light misting but is not needed if the humidity is good.
But, you don't have to mist them if it is not needed.

Keeping the pots in a tray of water is sufficient for those kinds. They should be going dormant now, so you don't have to keep them very wet until spring.

Back