What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Misfortune

well, I was helping a friend do some maintenance on their car, and I was nice enough to leave two of my three german shepherds out on the porch (out of view). well, to my surprise, the youngest of my three gsds decided to jump up on the railing and knock four of my cps to the ground (about 8' on the one side, about 4' to the other). I had one fall 8' (s. purpurea) and my s. flava red tube, s. purpurea, s. x judith hindle all fall four feet to the deck. Yeah, needless to say (the dog is lucky she is my favorite) I am not happy. I know that repotting in the middle of the growing season is not a good idea because of root disturbance, soooo, what can I expect from these plants now? Only one came totally out of its medium, two others partially so. I figure it will shock the plants and I won't get much more out of them any time soon.

I wouldn't worry too much. I think they'll be just fine.

Sorry to hear about that (and I won't post a sad smiley becuz it looks stupid)
Maybe I'll recover...are the bulbs broken or anything? Even if so don't give up yet, I heard someone else heard that someone's
confused.gif
seen some amazing recoveries from these plants, and don't give up hope until you're completely sure the bulb's turned into mush - quoted from I dunno where.

Sorry if you can't follow that.
biggrin.gif

Jason

In a more direct form of an answer: the plant will recover, just just give it time and optimum conditions + TLC, don't push it too hard, I should think the trap size will go down for a while, but it'll make a comeback, I'm sure!
smilie4.gif

...and even after the bulb's turned to mush don't give up hope...
smile_n_32.gif

Might still rise up from that dead pile of cells by cell division or whateva...
smile_m_32.gif

sucks on thte plants, man... i wouldn't worry too much about it. some of the things i have done to my cps would really freek some members out! i would just pot them back into their pots, adding soil as necessary, and let them go from there.

peace,
tech...

Awww...sorry to hear that Bob. But don't worry too much over it. Sounds like they weren't damaged very much. I have plants that have withstood being torn up by squirrels repeatedly and they still pitchered. And I repot whenever I want to with no ill effects (carefully done). I think they will be fine and should continue growing like normal.

Hey Jason...sarracenia grow from a rhizome, not a bulb. They are not bulb plants.
smile.gif
Rhizomes are sort of like a thick root that "creeps" along the surface or just under the surface of the ground. Many plants spread by rhizomes. Bulbs don't "travel." I don't want anyone thinking bulbs and rhizomes are synonymous.

thanks everyone. I was just really starting to enjoy the s. flava 'red tube' and it was finally putting up red pitchers. The two s. purpurea were from lowe's and the one was getting considerable large for a plant of that 'lineage'. I also had my s. minor go, and that one was the one out of its container...but that one I wanted to repot anyway. I don't think that I like sand and peat combo for sars...I have some of my plants in perlite and peat, and they are doing sooo much better then the sand/peat combos. I have s. leuco that are simply not growing at all in sand. The perlite, well, I think that it opens the soil more? allows for more drainage? suzanne, how do you repot without sending the sar or other plant into shock??? Yeah, I'm a bit bummed, but they and I will live (so will the gsd, Joee hehe)...good thing she didn't get my s. flava at over 36" I got in a trade...that is my pride and joy right now...thanks everyone.

I have trouble with my dog to, he's a black lab/ pitbull mix, and he keeps jumping my 6' fence!
(I'm serious)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcrwt644 @ May 31 2004,8:56)]how do you repot without sending the sar or other plant into shock???
mcrwt644,
You can't avoid sending plants into shock when you transplant them. The best you can do is move them into the new pot as quickly and gently as possible to minimize shock. It may help to raise the humidity around them also, until they recover a bit.

Back