What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Misadventures of a Housefly

• Thread starter eBeyonder
  • Start date
Presenting the Misadventures of a Common Housefly!

Screenshots:

z24437625.jpg

z24437647.jpg

z24437711.jpg

z24437713.jpg

z24437737.jpg

Video:

Direct link (1): http://www.zippyvideos.com/6516745363713276/vft1-1/

Direct link (2): vft1-1.wmv

Great video! You can almost hear him screamin' "Let me out of here!"

Tom

Niiice! Very cool.

HOHO, SWEET!!

And you made it into an icon, LOL!! That's even funnier.

I kept on rewinding to the part where the trap snaps shut, and also thought the fly was going to escape through the large gaps of the hinges. I alo wondered why the trap didn't close all the way and seal, perhaps the trigger hairs needed strong stimulation.

Thanks, I love VFT videos.

Caro

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Carito @ Feb. 12 2006,11:38)]HOHO, SWEET!!

And you made it into an icon, LOL!! That's even funnier.

I kept on rewinding to the part where the trap snaps shut, and also thought the fly was going to escape through the large gaps of the hinges. I alo wondered why the trap didn't close all the way and seal, perhaps the trigger hairs needed strong stimulation.

Thanks, I love VFT videos.

Caro
It takes a while for the trap to completely seal. Once the trap has closed, additional stimulation of the trigger hairs (usually by a freaked out fly) is needed before the two lopes press tightly together and digestive juices are released. This is why it's almost impossible to feed a Venus Flytrap a dead insect.

As a follow-up post in response to Carito's post, below are the pictures showing, after the initial drama of the snapping of the trap, the comparatively slower process whereby the trap seals itself shut and proceeds to digest the trapped fly.

The pictures below span a time period of about 5-8 minutes. The process isn't complete by the final picture (I just got tired of squatting) and, as those of us who keep VFTs have seen, the traps seal even tighter, until the "spines" on one lobe are almost parallel with those on the other. In the final picture, you can make out a distinctly bloated up portion of the trap. I think that is where the leaf is supposed to be watertight.

t24603530.jpg

t24603534.jpg

t24603539.jpg

t24603544.jpg

t24603548.jpg

t24603549.jpg

t24603553.jpg

t24603556.jpg

t24603558.jpg

t24603565.jpg

That is really cool. I've never gotten the chance to see my plant close upon an insect. It's always the exoskeleton.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (eBeyonder @ Feb. 13 2006,3:12)]As a follow-up post in response to Carito's post, below are the pictures showing, after the initial drama of the snapping of the trap, the comparatively slower process whereby the trap seals itself shut and proceeds to digest the trapped fly.

The pictures below span a time period of about 5-8 minutes. The process isn't complete by the final picture (I just got tired of squatting) and, as those of us who keep VFTs have seen, the traps seal even tighter, until the "spines" on one lobe are almost parallel with those on the other. In the final picture, you can make out a distinctly bloated up portion of the trap. I think that is where the leaf is supposed to be watertight.
Thank you for those photos.

In a surreal, eerie, inexplicable way, I found them strongly satisfying.

Back