What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miranda yellowing?

truncatacole

growingnepenthese.blogspo t.com
I gave it more light, and its getting red. It seems like my green is also yellowing some though? Any ideas? Its about 6" from the cfl.

Its not quite as yellow as it appears. The picture is a little off.

SANY0613.JPG

http://nepenthesgrowing.blogspot.com/

Leaf burn, possibly?

my miranda gets some pretty red leaves, prior to that they had a yellow tint.

my first thought was too much light, but its a good 6 inches from the lights. I have two 55w cfl's that provide light to all of my plants. All are about 6-7" away. Well hopefully if yours had a yellow tint too then this might be normal as they start the reddening process.

Mine was growing in full sun and as the leaf developed it started as green, went to that yellow, then went on through deeper yellow, orange, then to red, not unlike a sunset. I wouldn't worry about it.

if the tips start to brown on a new leaf then id start to worry, otherwise sounds all good to me.

thanks guys then I'll keep going as is.

my miranda is under 4 t-5 High Output bulbs about a foot away, it seems to like it , the leaves turn red like yours , and it makes quite nice pitchers for n. miranda, actually some of the nicest pitchers in my intermediate grow shelf.
are the lights i see in the photo with the miranda the ones it is grown in , if so it could use more light IMO.:-D
IMG_3064.jpg

Lights

Yeah those are the two lights it gets. Those are two 55 watt (300 watt equiv. each) cfls. They get those about 11-13 hours a day.

then i wouldnt worry about the yellowing its probably just the transformation from green to yellow to red , mine seem to go through all these colors too before they get as red as in the thumbnail pics.
by the way what does cfl stand for in the lighting industry , i see it a lot there, and what kind of heat do the put out , im needing more lights for some new shelves im contemplating , about 3' x 5', and 3 1/2' tall.

cfl = compact fluorescent light. They put off very little heat. I can rest my hand on them after they have been on for 10 hours with only slight discomfort lol. The ones I have here are ridiculously long in that picture the tips are only 6 inches from the plants.

my t-5 HO do get quite warm , but a thermometer laying right on the top if the fixture, doesnt get over 95 degrees F. but I dont think I could touch the bulbs.
Most plants that get any closer than say 5 or 6" suffer .
but the t-5's are the way im leaning on the next project , I do like them , and use a few computer fans to keep the air moving while the lights are on. this just may be me but i think my ceph's like the slow cooker conditions I have them in, under the HO bulbs. LOL

if you're interested the ones I am using are "HI-PRO sprial" 55 w (300 watt) equiv. each. 5000k with 3700 lumens. I have a third I am contemplating putting up with the other two but I don't want to have too much light... I'm hesitant... I think they might be completely fine with another of the same but they are just starting to look happy and I don't want to ruin it :(

show pic of light fixtures ? I may be interested:0o:

very nice , bet its hard to look in their direction without the wrap around them LOL,
they do look like super duper soft ice cream towers

lol, yeah thats the main purpose of the wrap. It also reflects the light around them more but its mostly so I don't get a headache. I cant even be in the room with them, let alone look in their direction!

he he he , the headache will become part of your life , just look right into the lights, and give up , your destined to have more lights and more watts, and more extension cords.:crazy:
You should have swords do some pics of his over loaded outlets:hail:
It will be a proud moment when you start ripping out the walls, to add extra outlets:-O

well considering i'm in a rented apartment that wont be any time soon! Unfortunately... or I would already be building at least a grow room if not a grow house. I want to buy more plants but I figure if I dont have a new place by the time these six neps get to be full size I won't have space for more... but I guess maybe I'll be safe since they grow so slow... now i'm just rambling and self justifying future purchases...

I don't see the yellowing you're referring to, and not having grown x Miranda myself, I cannot attest to the color of that plants leaves. Yellowing leaves are typically a sign of over-watering in plants, but I gather that is not the issue here. Just my two cents!

Back