What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mirabilis

Any special care tips??? What kind of soild do I use??? Humidity?

Thanks guys!

N mirabilis has very thin leaves, so humidity should be fairly high (much higher than you would have for ventricosa or khasiana). I don't know what RH% would be ideal, but anything fairly high, like 70% and up, would be good for it. I've read that it likes constantly wet soil, so you might want to have soil that doesn't dry out very quickly, or maybe water more often. I'm growing it outside with all my other lowland neps (same water, same temps, same humidity) and it seems to be doing well so far. I'm keeping it in an 8" or 6" (I forget) pot. I'm experimenting with potting mixtures right now, but I’ve used mixtures of LF Sphagnum, peat, vermiculite, charcoal, and lava rock (2:1:1:1:1) with no problems. I’m trying to see if a mix of LF sphagnum, river gravel, peat, charcoal, and vermiculite (2:2:1:1:1) will do well too for all the plants.

Joel

Is that alot of humidity to provide, or will beeing in a tank with water in he bottom (the plant raised above of course), be enough? I need a simple soil mixture, so do u have any of thos to suggesT?

Nep G would probably say USE PURE LF SPHAGNUM!!
smile.gif

That's basically the simplest you can get, but I've never used it except for my bicalcarata. Just use a mixture that is open but retains water. Try peat, LF sphagnum, and vermiculite or somthing similar. This isn't exactly a science you know.
smile.gif

Joel

Yea, soil mixing... hah...

I just mix till it looks good.
The proportions dont look right when measuring long fibered sphagnum...

Pure long fibered sphagnum is ok for this guy.

What if I dont have any left?

Back