What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minor additional question hybrids

Hi am new here. I have read the posts on Minor and minor giant about being able to be submerged. What about the hybrids of these such as Minor giant x Leucopylla and such?
I wonder how they would fair in the same growing situation?
Thanks,
Angie

Hi Angie,
Firstly welcome to the forum! With the hybrid you mention, it would be worth an experiment to see how that cross would cope.
With Sarracenia minor okefenokee giant variety in my greenhouse, I have one plant totally submerged and the others standing in the tray method. Both work. I have seen leucos in the field with water over their crowns so...

Mike King saw an aquatic S. leucophylla on his USA trip. You can see a photo of it here (click on the USA trip section).Mike's Page

I think Sarras might be able to survive partially submerged in summer in the wild(especially psittacina and minor Okeefenokeesis), but rotting would be a problem in winter. In cultivation it probably wouldn't be a good idea though.

That was strange - Mike and I were typing our replies at exactly the same time!
It looks like Okee Giant can be ok submerged in cultivation
smile.gif

Thanks for the welcome and responses. I was just curious. I am adding several new bog areas to my pond this coming spring and am laying out the plans now on what I am going to do. This has been my first year growing them and thier first winter outside. I live in Iowa in zone 5a and have sort of green house tented the bog area. Next year I plan to cover the whole pond and falls area in a big dome that will attach to the house and garage so we can enter it and hopefully can run the falls year round. I will be keeping tabs on temps this whole winter just to see what a difference it makes.
I figure with the pond which is alittle over 2000 gallons and the whole area covered It should stay around or above freezing . I would have tried it this year but I can't get the plastic the size I need until spring.
Thanks again,
Angie

Back