What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minimun soil depth.

Aloha,

I'm a newbe here. I did some reading on soil compositions but what about soil depth? I have a small 2.5g tank that's about 7in. high and I would like to put my vft in there. I would like to have some head space so the heat from the pc's don't scorch the plant. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Aloha, ideally 6 or 8 inches of soil depth would be best for your plant which in your case, would not give you the head-room that you want. A container with drain holes setting a tray or saucer will lessen root rot problems. There might be a way to suspend your light 10 or so inches above the plants.

Alan

Thanks alandallas. I didn't expect it to be that deep. Well thanks for the info.

artmusic247,

I have grown VFT, sundews, and pitcher plants in soil depth of 3 inches without much problems. Most CP do not have a very extensive root system and really does not require a 6-8 inches of soil. I do however believe that the deeper the soil, the better for the plant.

Your 7 inch container is a good start.
smile.gif

Thanks WayCool. I was going to try it with a soil depth of 2-3in. just to see if it'll survive. I'll keep you updated on it's progress. Thanks.

Back